Security Installer Community

Veritas Excel New Install - Eol Question

Mark02

As I already said I really appreciate your help, advice and honesty. I went for a wired system for reliability, cost and lesser maintenance over a wireless system (batteries for example).

I paid £145 for the system (new) with 100mtrs cable, 3 x pir's, 2 contacts, battery and the Pironix twin alert internal siren. Now I fully understand your comments about quality but most people like me would be in Homebase or B&Q paying over £200 for a Yale or similar wireless system. I just feel I wanted something better. I read loads of reviews on the Excel, weighed those up against cost which led me to my choice. If I wanted to spend a lot more I would have been speaking to you guys over the phone to get supply and install quotes and TBH me installing this alarm is better than no alarm.

I am not worried about it being monitored and not really that fussed about the dialler. I have good neighbours and my train of thought with the internal siren is make as much noise as possible in the hope it will either scare off any would be intruders (most of which in my area are opportunists)  and also alert my neighbours who most of which have my mobile. The police where I live rarely attend burglar alarms so I could probably respond a lot quicker.

I still might go for the resistors and yes I did notice the manual saying about putting them on the PCB. If not I'll wire it globally.

I could miss out one of the door contact (planned for front door/zone one entry/exit) If I could position a pir above door knowing it wouldn't be triggered by post, junk mail and newspapers coming through letter box.

just get adt in job done :-

Doubt it with the issues neighbour has had with them. I want to install myself. I like the challenge

I could miss out one of the door contact (planned for front door/zone one entry/exit) If I could position a pir above door knowing it wouldn't be triggered by post, junk mail and newspapers coming through letter box.

Don't do this.

It is best to have a front door contact and arm on "final door set".

if you can go the eol route then do, but at your risk its not needed. Better yes but no needed.

Id say double pole and proper signalling was way better than eol and bells or a dialler.

Its the end result that matters (ie you get to know somethings happening) not your choice of dp or eol

Don't do this.

It is best to have a front door contact and arm on "final door set".

agreed

and it certainly is by the sounds of it,im surprised an engineer (sic) cant fathom basic circuits

Gaz this is in the diy section

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

and it certainly is by the sounds of it,im surprised an engineer (sic) cant fathom basic circuits

It's a mile away from what I do. I work on electrical/hydraulic systems for lifting equipment and plant. It's low voltage but everything nowadays is controlled by ECU's, PCB's and motor controllers. Most of it is plug and play and set up with laptops and/or analysers. I don't really get involved in resistors, diodes and similar 'electronics' if that makes sense. It's basically car electronics on an advanced level.

hes an engineer like every kin diyer that comes on and 99% of them dont listen as they know better..whats the point man alarms are easy so why ask :proud:

It's not that I am not listening and never said I know better so please keep opinions to yourself if you cannot be civilised. If you don't want to help DiYers then why have a forum for them or choose to participate in it's content.

It's not that I am not listening and never said I know better so please keep opinions to yourself if you cannot be civilised. If you don't want to help DiYers then why have a forum for them or choose to participate in it's content.

agreed

• Upvote 1

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I will bookmark thread and over next couple of weeks post back to let you know how I got on and maybe a few install picks. I am sure somebody else might find this handy (unless your an install engineer that fitting alarms comes easy to) :wacko:

Just for an example here is a schematics of one machine I work on. This is a part page and there is another 17 sheets go with it. I have a Pcon 64 fault. Can anyone tell me where the fault lays (possible 3 answers)   :whistle:

I will bookmark thread and over next couple of weeks post back to let you know how I got on and maybe a few install picks. I am sure somebody else might find this handy (unless your an install engineer that fitting alarms comes easy to) :wacko:

Sounds good, I am sure someone will pipe up if your doing something wrong.

Maybe best to test bench the kit, during your first fix.

Can anyone tell me where the fault lays (possible 3 answers)   :whistle:

Maybe, if you can upload a better res picture.

The best I can make out it's a wiring diagram for a Vauxhall Nova.

Just install it , start with one sensor use two resistors and there's only a few combinations to do it, either way panel will report a fault

Global tamper should be last resort

Good advice. Could I do what sixwheelbeast suggested and set it up on worktop, then wire in just the keypad and one door contact, test that then remove it and try a pir ??? Can I do this with just battery power ...obviously the battery would need full charge.

Sounds good, I am sure someone will pipe up if your doing something wrong.

Maybe best to test bench the kit, during your first fix.

Maybe, if you can upload a better res picture.

The best I can make out it's a wiring diagram for a Vauxhall Nova.

It's for a JLG 1250 Ultraboom (cherry picker).

One of these.

articulated-boom-jlg-1250ajp-diesel-4x4-

Which by the way is controlled by logic controllers and envelope systems to stop it tipping over

Edited by Mark02

but could still wire your excel in....

LOL .... OK enough now :owned:

Yes but would show a mains fault.

You can stick a plug top on a flex for the bench test.

OK. The panel is double insulated I presume and I also presume the earth connected to euro block is there just for testing

Challenging at times to be honest but yes it is interesting. No day is the same and you always learn something new. The technology is moving forward in leaps and bounds as well which is sometimes hard to keep up with. We now have systems where you can "Swipe" in/off with your IPAF card or CSCS card to use the machine. We can log in from the office and tell who has used any given machine, what time they started, when they finished and also if say a company goes pop and they have machines on hire, lease etc we can remotely disable the machines from the office. The system also give you in depth report on service status, high running temps, oil condition etc etc. We work on machines up to 70 meters high.