Security Installer Community

To Charge Or Not To Charge?

lamplight73

Call came in today. Customer advised that the mains tripped overnight for a second or two and the Menvier panel says all nodes are lost. Obviously a problem that needs sorting. Usual advice before attending ref charges etc. Wife comes on phone spouting that this happens all the time and the engineers just give her a code and goes through a process. and that she will not pay for a callout. I explain that in one short visit I could probably sort it once and for all, and that it is something like a battery fault in a psu. Still won't accept it, ' why are you being awkward? just give me a reset code'. I again explain that although the engineers reset over the phone, it is an issue that needs addressing. I get the go ahead to attend. 

Upon attending, open up the panel, all seems ok, open up the psu supporting the nodes, no battery, no battery leads, no battery fuse. Look in the historical written log, nothing but two routine maintenances.

So, do I charge? Not the customers fault, but I went out on a Sunday in good faith, I need to be paid. I did tell them it was a battery fault, so there maybe a charge but speak to the office. I dont want the eng to get in trouble, but he needs a good talking to, feel morally wrong to charge them.

I replaced the fuse, and fitted a battery backup btw. No documentation to suggest why there was no battery, or why the fuse was out.

Drives me mad

I would like to say the engineer needs pulling into the office for a kick up the **** and a warning, you should see some of the things I have found with the company I work for now some truly shocking but I'm getting there with it slowy but surely, one of the idiots has gone so moulding the new guy to the way I think is proving hard but it's working slowly

yup, and two services. Audible only. Before my time though.

Then I agree the customer shouldn't be footing the bill but why would that effect you being paid by your employers? If audible only I'm assuming meets en standards and the node lost us generating a reset due to a tamper warning? If so issuing reset codes in the past is a no no also. I'd have no hesitation of dobbing them in as terrible attitude to rules and workmanship.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Lets get all the facts before you start blaming the engineer, first off with no battery or battery fuse does the panel not say there is a problem every hour or so? Next  I would have the engineer in the office and ask him what he knows. It may well be that the customer has nicked the battery for his RC cars or something. If it is due to the engineer I would audit his last months maintenance's not all of them just one or two and  would also spot check the engineer ie turn up un announced when he is in the middle of doing a maint. The problem with this sort of behavior it fooks it up for everyone on call so the other engineers should be behind you on this one

We did a take over from a local approved co on a large school. Every time there was a power fail it went off on about 20 detectors.

Upon the takeover we found a PSU with no battery or any battery fuses fitted, we also found loads of blown fuses in the bottom of the PSU.

It was the one where a one amp PSU had a load of almost 4 amps on it.

Archived