Security Installer Community

To Charge Or Not To Charge?

lamplight73

We took over a Menvier 2500 system over 10 years ago, they had no spec or anything, a few weeks ago they were carrying out some building work and called us in to see if the box that they had found in a cupboard was one of ours, engineer went out and sure enough it was an unmonitored alarm psu that we didn't know was their and so had never been maintained.

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Lets get all the facts before you start blaming the engineer, first off with no battery or battery fuse does the panel not say there is a problem every hour or so? Next  I would have the engineer in the office and ask him what he knows. It may well be that the customer has nicked the battery for his RC cars or something. If it is due to the engineer I would audit his last months maintenance's not all of them just one or two and  would also spot check the engineer ie turn up un announced when he is in the middle of doing a maint. The problem with this sort of behavior it fooks it up for everyone on call so the other engineers should be behind you on this one

Do you ever give a bad answer? Nail on the head every time. 

Short story, maintenance eng given a talking to, seems it was never there but he never clocked that it was an issue, no fault indications wired in either, standard psu, not mspsu, system installed 2006, install eng long gone, customer had to call in and get eng reset every time they had a power cut….. Nobody ever thought there maybe an underlying issue as to why they have to do this every time, 7 years, multiple engineers involved!

Auditing and training on the cards.

Have decided not to charge for callout, it wasn't the customers fault, but it does mean boss has been told. 

Was a hefty dilema.

Not even remote reset, had to learn all nodes back into the system when the power came back on, thus, engineer code was dished out every time…..

Lucky it was an audible system really.

Ouch. Boss hit the roof or not too fussed?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived