Security Installer Community

Quotation Acceptance Doc

PSE

I've held the view it is the walking dead in terms of software and has been for many years. The main issue is a fatal one that many software providers make. It was written in now pretty obsolete development tools and the world has moved on to more modern tools such as .net. The cost of the software to the customers and annual support is quite low therefore there is no cash in the kitty to spend much on either fixing the current issues or next gen platform. MAS hit this crossroads. It was developed in the early 90's using powerbuilder which at the time was the dogs danglies in terms of tools. The issue today is that any developer fresh out if dev school wouldn't even know what it was, let alone code for it. Powerbuilder also has its limitations due to those the platform couldn't advance past the limit of the tool it is written in. MAS began the journey to move to WCF and .net 4 years ago and still has somewhere to go. We still are on the powerbuilder client as with any major evolution there are issues with the new latest and greatest but the cost of this upgrade is costing using UTC circa $2m

I don't know exactly how much revenue PC data get in recur fees but after they pay the support staff there probably isn't any significant cash to pay a team of developers to bring it into the 21st century counting down a slow death of the software.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

I've held the view it is the walking dead in terms of software and has been for many years. The main issue is a fatal one that many software providers make. It was written in now pretty obsolete development tools and the world has moved on to more modern tools such as .net. The cost of the software to the customers and annual support is quite low therefore there is no cash in the kitty to spend much on either fixing the current issues or next gen platform. MAS hit this crossroads. It was developed in the early 90's using powerbuilder which at the time was the dogs danglies in terms of tools. The issue today is that any developer fresh out if dev school wouldn't even know what it was, let alone code for it. Powerbuilder also has its limitations due to those the platform couldn't advance past the limit of the tool it is written in. MAS began the journey to move to WCF and .net 4 years ago and still has somewhere to go. We still are on the powerbuilder client as with any major evolution there are issues with the new latest and greatest but the cost of this upgrade is costing using UTC circa $2m

I don't know exactly how much revenue PC data get in recur fees but after they pay the support staff there probably isn't any significant cash to pay a team of developers to bring it into the 21st century counting down a slow death of the software.

http://www.cliksoftware.com/ 

.net and runs on 64 bit..

doesn't mean a lot to me if i'm honest but i know it's bang up to date by comparison to AM

doesn't mean a lot to me if i'm honest but i know it's bang up to date by comparison to AM

Any software is written in a tool which is a piece of software for writing software. Many languages such as C#

All have their pros and cons but as time has gone on the tools have got much better, made life easier but AM is limited by the development tool that its written in which is well past it's sell by date now.

Looking at click it is written in very modern development tools indeed. Looks a nice piece of kit.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Any software is written in a tool which is a piece of software for writing software. Many languages such as C#

All have their pros and cons but as time has gone on the tools have got much better, made life easier but AM is limited by the development tool that its written in which is well past it's sell by date now.

Looking at click it is written in very modern development tools indeed. Looks a nice piece of kit.

it also quite an attractive price tag (annual support is dearer than AM but as you've said, they need cash to keep it evolving).  they're soon to release a PDA bolt on which i'm very very interested in as i think it's priced well.  for us to get the PDA thing running on AM is £K's..

You fancying it? I know someone that works there well from college days - I could have a chat?

Just thinking if they don't have many alarm cos using it, if one were to put it through its paces

and be amenable, it could be another sector opened up for them...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Archived