Security Installer Community

Another Which Wireless Alarm Thread

thorfun

There are far better ways to route cables usually, it may take a little more thought and enginuity-and thus more time-and they dont all entail ripping up floorboards, but I think all us installers know that carpet ultimately causes problems in the future, We all know that from experience.

Sometimes you have no choice but to run cables under carpet especially In new build style houses. I don't think there's anything cowboy about doing that if done correctly. There are still many a job out there 20 years plus that have cables under carpets. Yes ideally you try not to do as many people wanting to change from carpet to wooden floors these days and to avoid the dreaded carpet fitter Stanley blade

Interesting comments about running the cables under the carpet. I just thought that would be ok. He seemed to think that the floor would be chipboard rather than floor boards which would make running them a bit harder but I'm pretty sure the other wired bell system guy said they would also run under the carpet. But maybe it is a case of taking the easy route out I guess. Still waiting for the other SSAIB guy to call me back. I'll see what he says and compare stories.

I can see why you say that but realistically someone going to go the effort of ripping up the floor? Thought tex had a wireless bell out or are just about to?

He was saying that the Texecom premier elite system could be connected to the police, so would that necessitate the need to have a wired bell over a wireless?

He was saying that the Texecom premier elite system could be connected to the police, so would that necessitate the need to have a wired bell over a wireless?

There is no requirement to have a bell on the system at all and for systems that do have bells it makes no difference if wired or wireless.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Yep I was going to say exactly that, if its signalled why bother with a live external bell?

I fit a Elmdene 500S internally, and an identical housing to by 'live' bellboxes with a 5 year flashing

LED by Bentley.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Sometimes you have no choice but to run cables under carpet especially In new build style houses. I don't think there's anything cowboy about doing that if done correctly. There are still many a job out there 20 years plus that have cables under carpets. Yes ideally you try not to do as many people wanting to change from carpet to wooden floors these days and to avoid the dreaded carpet fitter Stanley blade

There's always a choice, and mine wouldn't be under carpets, out of sight and easy to damage.

If you're good there are ways to minimise the visual impact of cabling whilst keeping it safer from mechanical damage.

Can you explain how to run a cable with minimal sheathing/protection under a carpet correctly please?, I'm intrigued.

Standard 3 bedroom house. Carpet in hallway only chipboard floor not floorboards. Wooden floor stairs and wooden floor landing and rooms upstairs. Panel in cupboard under stairs. Please tell me how you would contact front door ? Please don't tell me you would do a bt style and clip cable to skirting board. As said I always lift floorboards where possible as as you said saves possible grief in future but to say running a cable under a carpet is cowboy give the op the wrong impression.

Edited by abbz