Security Installer Community

Battery For Scantronic 9800 Panel

MB001

Also are we sure this installation doesn't have a Scanny (or anyones) Wireless > Hardwire adaptors and, esp if its the older

Scanny 433MHz stuff that this isn't where the batts are going?

Obvously a 9800 isn't wireless and doesn't even have a bus - but it might have an external adaptor? Is a scanny 8 way

wireless rx with battery one of the boxes as well as a ?dialler??

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Hello

I hope someone will be able to help me.

My aged mother's alarm is under a maintenance contract. Each year, the company states that she needs a new battery for the panel - charging £35 + VAT each year for the privilege.

I have questioned why it needs replacing so frequently, to be told that it isn't the same battery that is replaced each year - but that there is more than one.

I suspect I can buy the batteries cheaper myself - can someone tell me what batteries my Scantronic 9800+ system is likely to require? - It is quite large with 16 zones connected up.

If the type and quantity of batteries vary, not having the engineer's code, can I simply open the panel and use the owner's code to stop the alarm so that I can see the type of batteries?

Finally, is it complicated to replace the batteries myself? That why I could undertake this part, and get the maintenance company to perform the other required checks.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Michael.

battery change is a policy of the installer, every year seems a bit excessive to me i don't critasis but i'd suggest you ssk they consult you first.

makers suggest a life of 3 - 5 years, but don't warranty for more than one. i've had batteries last 16 years when working for a firm, if the dating is to be beleived, while i change them at 2 - 3 thinking being a new battery is cheaper than a call out during a power cut.

as for changing them yourself, we have no idea of the competence, it may expose you to a possible serious or fatal shock, or accidentally dislodging a wire, so we can't recommend it.

i'd have a word and suggest to insist to change at 3 years, unless properly conducted tests suggest otherwise, and proven to you as required.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

common to see a 3.1 ah or i'd fit a 7 ah, but if your current battery has no issues your again likely wasting money.

a battery left on a shelf will slowly discharge and when you need it you may find its charge state is not up to the job you bought it for, so catch 22 really..

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Ftting a CSP battery?

We wouldn't. What happens if it fails after 6 months as its some ling lang battery off ebay? And with it being a 9800, imagine it powering back up after a long powercut, booom!

A battery every year does seem excessive, however if there is 3 PSU's on site (unlikely) they might just be due then, ie psu/comms added at a later date in a past life.

Archived