Security Installer Community

Battery For Scantronic 9800 Panel

MB001

A battery every year seems wrong, but in fairness we don't know if its just a panel battery or if there is a remote power supply fitted. The system may also be overcharging the battery causing a shorter life, but I would have expected the maintainer to pick this up. To be honest if you have lost confidence in the maintaining company then as Mathew has said look at getting another company in. Be warned though I would expect any new company taking over to change all the batteries on the first visit there after every 3 years (depending on company policy) As stated there is a battery in the outside sounder as well, not much point in changing just the battery, a complete new sounder is a far better option( makes sure it operates correctly, has the correct cut off timer, strobe works and also it looks like the system is being looked after, rather than a tatty bell)

Thanks for the advice - I'll start hunting out a new provider.

I'm still confused at the comment that they are not changing the same battery every year. I take it that there is only one battery in the main panel then.

There are 3 metal boxes for the alarm system - a large one which I assume houses the main panel, and 2 smaller ones - one which has all the cabling from the sensors entering it, and another that looks like a power unit.

My mother doesn't recall them ever going up to the external bell, so we assume it is not one of those batteries that have been changed.

Michael.

Thanks for the advice - I'll start hunting out a new provider.

I'm still confused at the comment that they are not changing the same battery every year. I take it that there is only one battery in the main panel then.

There are 3 metal boxes for the alarm system - a large one which I assume houses the main panel, and 2 smaller ones - one which has all the cabling from the sensors entering it, and another that looks like a power unit.

My mother doesn't recall them ever going up to the external bell, so we assume it is not one of those batteries that have been changed.

Michael.

Well it's guessing but I would expect each "metal box" to have a battery and they maybe a different size in each.

It may just be the case that a battery in each unit needed replacing at each visit.

Companies have different policies on replacing batteries but if they are four years old they are normally replaced.

I am more interested in why you don't trust your alarm company?

Or why you haven't asked them yourself?

RFS - the boxes are all situated together in my mother's boiler room, along with the main electrical fuse box.

I will try and photograph them when I am next at her house, but from memory they are all plain white metal boxes. One has a green led over a battery sign, with a 230V sticker on it. Another has a lot of cables entering it and someone has written JB on the outside - I assume the cables go to all the sensors, and finally a large square box set underneath the first two.

Sixwheeledbeast - I have asked, and only been told it is not the same battery that has been replaced each year - but have no way of knowing whether this is true or not. The last invoice stated something about a 13v 7Ah gel cell - does this seem sensible? Would there be multiple batteries of this type?

Michael.

Archived