Security Installer Community

Cctv System

dwdave

Id like to look into getting a cctv system installed just to cover a few angles and the front door from inside.

I have a basic grasp of the system and its layout but can someone explain the numbers on the cameras to me - 400 - 700 etc - is that lines / resolution ?

I'll get a box with a hard drive and local monitor with the facility to get it hooked up to a static ip for remote monitoring.

This literally is my first enquiry for cctv though!

'till the next question ...

Yes its for myself - thanks for the link - I'll take a peek.

I wasnt just going to nail them up - I was thinking of no more nails but I can't decide whether to use branded or no nonsense!  :rolleyes:

It really is going to be a basic cover the front and back with one specifically on the front door featuring recording, a local monitoring screen and remote via internet.

'till the next question ...

many budget cameras will do what you need, you pay a bit more or higher res, better picture etc.

tbh no point fitting high end camera and cheap dvr, makes as much sense using a cheap tuner with BOSE speakers.

the wider the angle he more area you will cover, but you loose detail. use narrow lens face's etc are bigger but you loose on the overall area covered ,so some buy vari-focal lens cameras and set to suit.

if you use the camera on our phone this is about 3.6, gives a rough guide of what you will see.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

you are better going into a CCTv showroom where you can compare, many engineers will say "we only fit xyz make because you get what you pay for", good for them but then they don't actually foot the bill.

i've seen and used cheaply bought cameras which give very good evidence quality results, and also expensive ones giving very poor near useless results.

when you come to select your dvr, don't be blinded by flashy claims i D1 on every channel, make sure it is user friendly enough to you personally to use. you can have the most fantastic images but if you can't search, find and playback events reasonably easily, then there is very little real point.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived