Security Installer Community

Ladders

timmo66

I completely agree with you mate.

Trouble is in this, and other cases. How else do you do the job if platforms cant be used?

There always has to be a method of access. If not then why would you be installing serviceable kit to an area you cant get to? Your boss won't want to hire anything in because it'll hit his pocket. But then again your employers sound like complete bell ends.

We have a nice sized tower and don't get me wrong it has been very useful for heads, cameras etc but I'd personally prefer my steps for doing pirs and stuff in false ceilings.

What's a boom?

]ipaf-operator-1b.jpg

One of these. IPAF 1B ticket required. Full days training.

Using steps is just something you were brought up with. You can carry more and do more on a platform/scaffold. Steps are perfect for home jobs etc but they don't really have a place on building sites these days.

Sorry guys, just don't get how using a contraption that looks like an octopus on steroids does a better job than my little steps for fitting rios and pirs.

I get it for reasonable height or fire heads etc but not a h unable detector.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

There always has to be a method of access. If not then why would you be installing serviceable kit to an area you cant get to? Your boss won't want to hire anything in because it'll hit his pocket. But then again your employers sound like complete bell ends.

:D  Pretty good to be honest with you. But this situation is typical. 

very rare i work o nbuilding sites now, the where there's pain there's blame brigade have made it near impossible for those responsible, who rightly fear any injury, noy just access but trips over loose materials. the law don't help as 'reasonable precautions' just makes it a solicitors/barristers banquet.

i had to attend twice for inductions as i do not carry a site card. 2nd time another subby turned up signed me in and disappeared. sat all through it, we got dismissed and i said fine, so where's the assembly points?

total joke in all truth, not allowed to use any steps. despite i have very strong and stable 'little giants', so had to use a decorators platform which was to tall, hurting my kneck and back. i've only ever had one accident on any access kit in my life, and that was when i was 22,  a pair of steel pole ladder/steps did the splits on me.

my second accident was on this site, i was knocked clean of the platform by some clown who barged the door open i was working behind, called out in a foreign language and moved on, leaving me sprawled on the floor with a badly sprained wrist and bruised shins.

had i been on my steps i'd have been properly balanced and the leg flares would have stopped the door before it hit me.

i just packed up my kit and left.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Steps are perfect for home jobs etc but they don't really have a place on building sites these days.

really?  bizzare thinking

Steps are perfect for home jobs etc but they don't really have a place on building sites these days.

really?  bizzare thinking

Not just me then.

Should have had the door either open or it locked or a sign on the other side and. Cone.

Amber flashing lights too just to be sure?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Sorry guys, just don't get how using a contraption that looks like an octopus on steroids does a better job than my little steps for fitting rios and pirs.

I get it for reasonable height or fire heads etc but not a h unable detector.

No you donut. You don't use a boom for fitting a fecking PIR. You've been behind a desk too long. You use one of these;

telepod_podium_2jpg.jpgpopup.jpg

Anything higher you use mobile scaffold or some form of boom/mewp.

There is no doubt that you would use steps for low level work, and ladders for work (in my opinion) up as high as a gable end on a two bed semi. But there becomes a point where ladders just aren't safe.

Your 10 metres in the air (ladders ontop of the mez floor), one hand holding the drill, one hand feeding the cable. Thats just not going to happen. three points of contact?

Archived