Security Installer Community

Ladders

timmo66

Large steel structured building, cladded around the outside. You know the ones. Roof pitch is roughly 10 metres, which we are going up to to fit fire detection.

We are late into site. Can JUST get around most of the site with a platform if you dodge all the machinery that has already been installed on the ground, and duck around all the lights and sprinkler pipework.

However, on one side of the building is a mez floor. Boss looks at the ladders and says "we'll just have to use ladders for this". No no no no no.

So we are talking very long triple extension ladders on a mez floor, resting on the roof trays, to feed FP across, and fit bases and heads.

And fp girder clips of course :)

Not an ideal scenario mate but unless you can get a picker or boom in there then u dont have much choice

Have I missed something here? Why wouldn't you be allowed to use ladders or steps? You developed wings?

H&S on building sites

Just wait until its a week or so untill handover, site forman won't care what happens then along as the jobs finished for completion date. See it plenty of times

Hence my plasterers on stilts comment.

At the start of the job you cant fart without doing a RA.

But when the deadline gets nearer you can swing around on ladders with chainsaws for all they care, pathetic really, happy medium needed and possibly use of disclaimers like "im going to use my steps and if i fall off then its my fault"

Instead of this nonsense. As soon as podium accidents rise we will back on steps!!

To fit a pir?

The world has gone mad. Must be hard manovering round the place with alls those platforms.

Ladders might as well be melted down to tin cans then?

Its been like this for years matt, where the **** have you been?

Its because of high number of recorded accidents ie people pissing about on the top of steps ect

I try not to do sites if I can help it, did one about a year ago. Couldn't use ladders or steps. Was told I can either get a podium or scaffold built or " I'm going home early today I'll be gone at 3 "

Took me a few hours pulling cables in from steps would have taken over a day with a scaffold having to keep rebuilding it etc.

Forman joked the next day " you must have struggled with the podium eh? " lol

On a lot of sites it has been cscs, boots, hi vis, hard hat, glasses, gloves. Mandatory.

Then no steps, ladders, hop ups,

Only podiums ect which dont fit through most door frames!!

Site induction at the start of a job 1/2 a day.

Site induction near end of job 5 mins if you get one

I try not to do sites if I can help it, did one about a year ago. Couldn't use ladders or steps. Was told I can either get a podium or scaffold built or " I'm going home early today I'll be gone at 3 "

Took me a few hours pulling cables in from steps would have taken over a day with a scaffold having to keep rebuilding it etc.

Forman joked the next day " you must have struggled with the podium eh? " lol

I often do the same, they normally stipulate more than one person present tho for obvious reasons

Archived