Security Installer Community

Ladders

timmo66

Agree to a certain extent.

But its 2013. The technology is there. Okay so it might take slightly longer to do the job, but its done correctly and safely.

I'm guessing more accidents happen these days and older days?

More accidents reported probably

weirdest access kit i've used was on Shield Protection, they had this one man lift you pulled on a trailer, you parked up, spread the stabliser legs out but it worked off compressed bottles.of air.

if you opened the valve to far, before you close it you would go wizzing past the camera then bounce up and down like being on a spring, bit un-nerving on first few use's ;)

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

More accidents reported probably

What about the near misses,  All near misses are supposed to be reported to allow changes to be made, so it doesn't happen again ??

You just know there are hundreds, probably thousands that go unreported

Absolute joke!

We had 24 houses in a street that needed bells installed but scaffold has gone. Job done with ladders and no complaint.

This country is just brutal with h&s tbh.

I hadn't though of that as we don't fit external sirens. That would be funny for a res. how much for an external bell. £400. Why, because we need to get the scaffold tower down here. Suppose it would be a good excuse not to go out to a faulty bell screaming its head off. Sorry pal, hss don't do 3am deliveries.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

I completely agree with you mate.

Trouble is in this, and other cases. How else do you do the job if platforms cant be used?

We have to use mewps/pickers for everything above step ladder height, and trust me,  these sites really are an obstacle course.

Your ladder scenario is not to be recommended.

Not really. You can go and work in China or India if you want. **** like this happens all the time;

What do you do mate? Is H&S your job?

I've done pretty much everything in construction. H&S isn't my job but i'm clued up on it as much as I need to be to keep myself and others right. Many people still have the old ways of journeymen past in their heads. Hopefully the apprentices of the next couple of decades remove it completely.

People are lazy at work. We all cut corners and want to get home and do other things with out lives. We work to live, not live to work. Yet last year 49 people didn't make it home. 49 people died just by turning up to work. Construction is still the most dangerous place to work in today bar the forces. 

We've all had near misses, cuts and grazes and we're all lucky we don't have any serious stories to tell but I know of a fair few people that haven't been so lucky.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/fife/two-contractors-suffer-burns-in-accident-at-raytheon-factory-in-glenrothes-1.48726

Accident that happened up our way. I know the firm, and the people involved. Was the same kind of attitude "H&S gone mad, pain in the backside, stopping us from doing the job" Sure did change when two of their men got 3rd degree burns their hands and face. 

Nasty video is that, Seen it before.  Its a real eye opener to what can happen when you take your eye off the ball

The guy gets zapped and he is knocked out, on fire.  This does happen and its real.

Archived