Security Installer Community

Ladders

timmo66

Steps are perfect for home jobs etc but they don't really have a place on building sites these days.

really?  bizzare thinking

Not really. If you're compliant with HSE directives then they don't. But again, no one has said they can't be used. They are perfect for some situations but i'd say not less than 90% of the work carried out on site can be done in better and safer ways.

Bigger contractors now try and follow the Considerate Contractors Scheme. Aiming to improve the image of construction as a whole and trying to achieve this by doing things right. Steps and ladders as a form of working platforms are ****. End of discussion. People want to use steps and ladders because it's arguably quicker to work from and most of the time they cant be arsed to move a scaffold about (they come with wheels for goodness sake)

They do come with wheels yes but cant get through most doorways, and the operative has to use them correctly and build them correctly for them to be any safer than steps.

Agreed when working on higher than a standard 2.4 mtr ceiling or doing perlonged work its much better to use a platform.

Also as part of that scheme the companys round here limit the number of vans you can bring to site and also insist you dont park in the street that the site is located at, instead the next road along gets an army of vans, very considerate dont you think?

No you donut. You don't use a boom for fitting a fecking PIR. You've been behind a desk too long. You use one of these;

telepod_podium_2jpg.jpgpopup.jpg

Anything higher you use mobile scaffold or some form of boom/mewp.

The only podiums we have used are hired and there feckin huge things, take ages to take down and only gets you 1/2 mtr of the floor!!!

That on in your pics looks very usefull i must say

They do come with wheels yes but cant get through most doorways, and the operative has to use them correctly and build them correctly for them to be any safer than steps.

Agreed when working on higher than a standard 2.4 mtr ceiling or doing perlonged work its much better to use a platform.

Also as part of that scheme the companys round here limit the number of vans you can bring to site and also insist you dont park in the street that the site is located at, instead the next road along gets an army of vans, very considerate dont you think?

But the operative will have appropriate training and know how to use the kit so this is a non issue? If he chooses to take shortcuts and do half a job then hurts himself no one is really interested in that. 

Depends on the contractor. Site parking isn't part of the scheme in a big sense. Usual guidance is to keep it neat. Only real reason i've seen off site parking moved it to allow for deliverys and plant but again everyone runs their ship differently. I wouldn't be happy if I had a fleet of workies outside my home, but you can never please everyone when it comes to construction.

it's not just h&s it's all the bs about making sure others can't blame you for their delay's and to avoid penalties..i tended to be spending more and more time wriring more notes about who where and when,  instead of getting on with the ruddy job.

i was asked to sun contract for Noralsey, they had a lot of work for Curry and Dixon stores. sinple enough work fit keypad and maglock to the store cupboards. one the forms is a question about use of any noxious substances, so the leading engineer puts down no.

after the induction were into the job about 20 mins when suddenly i'm told the lead engineer was kicked off, site foreman had spotted he had tube of mult-core solder in his bag, not using it just in his bag, not even a soldering iron in his possession.

i tried hard to reason that it was a simple oversight, no need to use it. but they just would not budge. even threatened to kick me off for challenging..he had to stay outside the fence,  i had to be lead engineer, not like the work was a challenge, but there was 7 store rooms to be done, man down, we could have done the job and been gone much earlier, as it was i had to run the 3 trainee' making sure they made no silly little mistakes.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

But the operative will have appropriate training and know how to use the kit so this is a non issue? If he chooses to take shortcuts and do half a job then hurts himself no one is really interested in that. 

Depends on the contractor. Site parking isn't part of the scheme in a big sense. Usual guidance is to keep it neat. Only real reason i've seen off site parking moved it to allow for deliverys and plant but again everyone runs their ship differently. I wouldn't be happy if I had a fleet of workies outside my home, but you can never please everyone when it comes to construction.

What do you do mate? Is H&S your job?

I assume you know that (IPAF) itself isn't an actual qualification or recognition as such.  IPAF is an organisation that provides the training.

The phrase, I've got an IPAF card. or You must have an IPAF card to use this MEWP are slightly misrepresented and misunderstood sometimes

Persons holding a (IPAF) PAL " Powered Access License" card have been trained to their standard set by International Powered Access Federation

You can obtain training from any established MEWP training facility and obtain a traceable identity card to prove your trained to use the equipment.

If you have received the training and have the traceable photo id card to prove, You're sorted

******* worlds gone mad! 

Agree to a certain extent.

But its 2013. The technology is there. Okay so it might take slightly longer to do the job, but its done correctly and safely.

I'm guessing more accidents happen these days and older days?

Archived