Security Installer Community

Ladders

timmo66

Ask the boss why we are late. This job has been in the pipeline for 6 months+ and it would have been a doddle in an empty building.

Its very difficult to describe this site, how high I am talking about and what is in the way (ie having to put your ladders through half finished machines, and monorail tracks for laundry machines, and then climb through up the ladder).

Always comes back to pre planning. Just like the working hours debate of 2013. Why should an engineer be a hero and forget about H&S just to get a job done that would have been a lot safer if he was sent to do the job at the correct time?

Ask the boss why we are late. This job has been in the pipeline for 6 months+ and it would have been a doddle in an empty building.

Its very difficult to describe this site, how high I am talking about and what is in the way (ie having to put your ladders through half finished machines, and monorail tracks for laundry machines, and then climb through up the ladder).

Always comes back to pre planning. Just like the working hours debate of 2013. Why should an engineer be a hero and forget about H&S just to get a job done that would have been a lot safer if he was sent to do the job at the correct time?

If there is obstacles and difficulty using ladders correctly he shouldnt be asking you to do it timmo.

If it seems unsafe then it is

Hence my plasterers on stilts comment.

At the start of the job you cant fart without doing a RA.

But when the deadline gets nearer you can swing around on ladders with chainsaws for all they care, pathetic really, happy medium needed and possibly use of disclaimers like "im going to use my steps and if i fall off then its my fault"

Instead of this nonsense. As soon as podium accidents rise we will back on steps!!

Its been like this for years matt, where the **** have you been?

Its because of high number of recorded accidents ie people pissing about on the top of steps ect

Sat behind a desk!

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Lastest job for us requires "Anti-Surf" Podium use only.....(two wheels & two static feet)

£40 hired per day...!!. We bought them for £300. Then, of course, youve got to put Ladder tags on for Inspection....

Have I missed something here? Why wouldn't you be allowed to use ladders or steps? You developed wings?

Bigger contractors now try and follow the Considerate Contractors Scheme. Aiming to improve the image of construction as a whole and trying to achieve this by doing things right. Steps and ladders as a form of working platforms are ****. End of discussion. People want to use steps and ladders because it's arguably quicker to work from and most of the time they cant be arsed to move a scaffold about (they come with wheels for goodness sake)

And what's suddenly become dangerous to use steps and ladders?

If you can't use them, what are you meant to use instead?

After slips and trips, falls from height are the second biggest cause of accidents in the construction industry. 

To fit a pir?

The world has gone mad. Must be hard manovering round the place with alls those platforms.

Ladders might as well be melted down to tin cans then?

Steps and Ladders aren't banned in the sense. They can still be used as a last resort when nothing else will fit. Say in a switch room or cupboard. You just need to prove it's required rather than you just wanting to take a shortcut.

They don't. You tell the boss that you want the proper tools for the job. If he tells you to shut up and just get it done you phone the HSE and get people involved. Employers like this use fear to their advantage in getting work done with people in danger. After all your mortgage needs paid doesn't it? How much is statutory sick pay again?

They don't. You tell the boss that you want the proper tools for the job. If he tells you to shut up and just get it done you phone the HSE and get people involved. Employers like this use fear to their advantage in getting work done with people in danger. After all your mortgage needs paid doesn't it? How much is statutory sick pay again?

I completely agree with you mate.

Trouble is in this, and other cases. How else do you do the job if platforms cant be used?

We have a nice sized tower and don't get me wrong it has been very useful for heads, cameras etc but I'd personally prefer my steps for doing pirs and stuff in false ceilings.

as I said booms

What's a boom?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived