Security Installer Community

Are Council's Destroying Our Roads?

Noticed for a while now our roads (UK) are slowly being destroyed by local councils.

Recently I have noticed most of the A/B classed formally "national speed limit" sections of road are now 50 or even 40 MPH in my area (North West).

Combined with more and more random cross hatchings there efforts are to "deter overtaking".

It's working, causing driver's to get frustrated and make rash decisions.

IMO if they taught how to overtake correctly there would be no need for this.

I'd have no problem if speed limits were reduced in high accident areas.

Many are not accident areas and have been reduced to below government guidelines.

Most of us are on the road a lot, do you feel driving becoming more of a chore?

Are drivers becoming more and more aggresive and frutrated? Opinions?

I agree. There seems to be a policy of road unimprovements nation wide.

Think they are trying to force everyone into the over charged, under invested and over crowded public transport system.

I would quite happily use public transport if I could afford it and it wasn't cr@p.

Edited by mma

round here every village is now 30mph rather than the national speed limit they once was,

then we have the tame f'wits slowing or even braking for corners that I have recall as teenage tit as going around in the low 80's whilst fishing a tape casstte out the glove box....

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Road surfaces aren't to bad near me but the local council have blown a great wad of cash building "the great wall of norden" which still isn't finished (6 months now)

Plenty of tame feckers though, doing 35 in a 60 should be punishable by fire

Edited by reidy

Hey Ho, Lets Go

Road surfaces aren't to bad near me but the local council have blown a great wad of cash building "the great wall of norden" which still isn't finished (6 months now)

or a go slow camera :lol:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

This is part of the problem.

If someone is dithering at about 35-40 in a 50 (compared to a 60/NSL), you can no longer safely overtake without breaking the speed limit.

To add to that when you do commit yourself in a nice spot, the feckers speed up.

You are then forced to pull back in thanks to the council for sticking a pointless crossing bollard in the road.

After all that, you are still stuck behind the ditherer doing 35-40; having to brake needlessly for slight sweeping bends.

A calm driver is a safer driver

They need to stop wasting money painting pointless lines and reducing speed limits (then having to add repeater signs every xxx yds because of this)

Sort the road surface out there are a terrible amount of holes (some made by the services) left to fill.

Road safety is deeper than extra paint and a few signs IMO.

do you not think that when a govt in the future removes all the single lanes made from dual tracks, bollards, markings etc that they can claim they have improved road areas by 30% etc. Seems like a setup to con us all into thinking they have made more roads when all they did was undo the **** they have done to limit useability of said roads

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Noticed for a while now our roads (UK) are slowly being destroyed by local councils.

Recently I have noticed most of the A/B classed formally "national speed limit" sections of road are now 50 or even 40 MPH in my area (North West).

Combined with more and more random cross hatchings there efforts are to "deter overtaking".

I thought all this had stopped when the coalition came in and councils funding dropped?

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Well that's bound to happen James, nobody will blow your own trumpet for you.

Council's still have to much power just wait 'til the funding comes back.

A number of council's now have a policy to eventually make all single carriage NSL's, 50.

To change a speed limit they have to put up for a minimum of three weeks, on-site A4 notices with the changes. This gives people the right to object to the Order.

Can the driving public spot these. Even if you do, have you the time to stop and read them to find out what there for.

What they haven't also realised is all this "road furniture" requires a lot more maintenance then a white line or two.

Lots of this paint and signs you can bearly make out, but will not be repaired as there's now "no money".