Security Installer Community

Texecom Premier 48 Install

zerozero

Hi all, just moved into a new place and much to do - one thing is to get alarm installed. Had some quotes for instllation and they are massively more expensive than the hardware costs and both fitters so far have told me that they can't do things that I know the texecom can do (e.g. different chimes for different doors) - so am considering DIY both for cost and for quality of work - I like to get exactly what I want from my equipment. I am having to get a load of electric work doing (probably taking down ceilings etc) so could lay the alarm cabling at the same time - probably better than running under carpet like most of the fitters seem to want to do - again I feel that doing it myself will result in a better quality job and get the most out of the system!

So initially a few questions

1. Cat6 Cabling

One thing I'll be doing is getting some cat6 sockets/wiring put in for phones/network and it occurred to me that maybe I could get a seperate set of cat6 cable laid for the alarm maybe red leads for alarm, green for network, blue for telephony etc, is there a best practice for this as I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere? I guess if someone pulled out the red sockets in the patch panel then alarms would go off which may be the reason people might not do it and prefer hardwiring. I guess I like the idea of getting the infrastructure laid down and have flexibility in the future but maybe it isn't worth doing.

2. Wires

I have a good idea where I want all the PIR's, door contacts should be etc however could anyone point me to a comprehensive guide on how many wires I need for each thing. I plan to use texecom for everything but am not sure on all the different types of wire I am going to actually need (5x std PIR, 2x Dual tech, 4x door impaq contact/vibration det). How many cores do the rkp's need on texecom premier?

3. Garage door opening

there is also an electric garage door that I want to have disable a PIR when it is opened (so the garage door) I understand I can do this with a "Latch Key" combined with a relay and some kind of detector to tell if the door is open or not are (it is a roller type double door). Are there any suggestions on how to best do this - I can see that you can get heavy duty shutter door contacts, so maybe that is the best thing to use and connect to a relay. This is all so I can drive the car into the garage using the radio keyfob and not have the countdown start (set the garage pir sensor off) until I go through the garage/house access door.

4. Panels and Speech and Text Dialler

I want one of those funky texecom panels for the hallway but also want to be able to listen in, talk back and have sms and voice dialling in the case of an alert. I'd also like to be able to control the alarm system remotely (disable sounders etc). It seems there are a number of addons that can do this - I'd picked the PSD001 (speech and text dialler) but it seems that this is also a rkp, is that right? I don't really want 2 different rkp's just the functionality - is there other / better options

5. If anyone knows how I can download an installation manual for the various texecom devices I'm talking about I could do a bit more research on my own, but the manufacturers site wants me to be an approved fitter. Any way around this? I'd prefer electronic copies rather than buying hard copies if possible (can't "search" in hard copies)

Sorry for long post, thanks for reading and for any advice you can give

...probably better than running under carpet like most of the fitters seem to want to do - again I feel that doing it myself will result in a better quality job and get the most out of the system!

It is better but generally cable under carpet if installed correctly are fine.

Installers cannot provide a good quote if they spend 3 days lifting floorboards.

Your few questions answered...

1. Cat6 Cabling

This is a big no alarms should be installed in standard alarm cable. This is for an exhaustive number of reasons but mainly because it's stranded.

Ref :- CQR Cable CAB8/WH/100M

2. Wires

There are different types of wiring configuration so this depends.

Use 8 core alarm cable and take a 8 core to each device. Don't go counting cores at this stage, have plenty spares.

There a 4 terminals on Texecom Networks but I would normally triple up on power and use one pair for data.

3. Garage door opening

This is possible, install a Dual Tech detector in the garage and install a heavy duty roller shutter contact to the garage door.

There are lots of different ways to program this later.

4. Panels and Speech and Text Dialler

Speech and Text Diallers are a stand alone separate unit so the keypads control different things.

It is normal to install the dialler adjacent the panel but you may not be able to here you talk back.

If it's more for listening then if you install a Premier 88/COM2400 and use a AV module and RMU's in the rooms you can listen in to each room.

Bit over the top tho.

5. You are better speaking to Texecom as you will not find a Installation Manual on the internet unless you are trade.

Also note only user manuals are provided with the Texecom Premier range.

I would mainly say your speaking to the wrong installers if they say you cant do this/that. I say we can do anything you want, its the wallet thats the limiting factor ;) A proper NSI/SSAIB company could first fix whilst the house is in bits, with the sparks, then second fix and commission when the dust settles.

Had some quotes for instllation and they are massively more expensive than the hardware costs

labour will always cost more than the kit, coloured patch lead for the "alarm" would certianly be a interesting sight to see :whistle:

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

agree with the above, some installers will not stray from the very basic systems. Basic equipment, basic programming.

You could always use a decent non ssaib / nsi firm ;)

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Archived