Security Installer Community

Working at height regs

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you contact your local HSE office they will send you a leaflet on the current regulations, they might even be on the web. From what I can remember they are pretty ridiculous i.e should not work above 2m of steps or ladders, a tower should be used. However you would think if they really wanted to inforce H&S then steps and ladders should be banned.

An uncle of mine was a linesman with the local electricity board, he told me a story of a colleague being at the bottom of a ladder when the guy at the top shouted to him, not hearing what was shouted he looked up...to get a pair of heavy pliers through the eye socket.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

We have to call another Engineer to come and assist, if he isn't available at that time we are supposed to re-book the job and attend at a time when we will both be available. This applies to every instance when working above 2 Meters.

67690[/snapback]

christ if i did that i would,nt get any work done!

on a average day i must get my ladders up tp cameras at least once.

Methinks i will check at office what we are supposed to be doing.

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Guest IM_Alarms

I dived out of the way of a brick that had been grabbed for support by the guy climbing the ladder, which had come off the top of the wall, he swung his arm round to regain balance, launching the brick straight for my head as I footed the ladder. I do not think the bottom of a ladder is a good place to be at ANY time.

Although I was always under the belief that no electrical trademen could work alone, due to the possibility of electric shock. It's unreasonable to expect a passer-by or shop assistant to come to your aide whilst hooked up to some voltage. They just wouldn't know where to start! :no:

I guess it is better to be safe than sorry :yes: I also believe that there is a section which basically says to use your common sense. ie if it takes longer to drill an eyebolt and secure yourself to it, than it would to put up a decoy or adjust a camera, then it would seem practical to do the job and get down to safe ground asap. The ladders still have to be fully secure to create a scaffold/ secure structure to work from, unless you work under 2 metres...

We get regular talks on the use of ladders,the usual stuff about three points of contact but im still expected to fit to a bell off them. I always say its impossable but then I was told your knees count as two of the contact points :blink: .

Dave, the picture of the guy on the A frame ladders is using them wrong as you are not ment to go past the top of the A.

Several months ago we were told about the eye bolts but has anyone been to a job and found one?. Whos job is it to fit this, and how long before they bring out a reg on load testing the eye bolt :) .

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Archived