Security Installer Community

Working at height regs

Hi, What safety equipment do you use when working on ladders?

According to the working at height regs 2005, the site must be assessed in terms of the possibility of an accident. Then whilst on the ladder you must be protected by a full fall arrest kit, i.e harness, ropes,lanyard etc all anchored to a secure structure, in our case an eyebolt drilled into the customers wall! The Ladders must be secured also..

Do any of you follow these regs and what equipment do you use?

My boss provides nothing because he doesnt like spending his hard earnt.. :realmad:

I hope thats his car to the right!!

I Agree, although the picture is probably just an Example of how the ladders are used, it doesn't look as though any H&S has been thought about or implemented.?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

According to the working at height regs 2005, the site must be assessed in terms of the possibility of an accident. Then whilst on the ladder you must be protected by a full fall arrest kit, i.e harness, ropes,lanyard etc all anchored to a secure structure, in our case an eyebolt drilled into the customers wall! The Ladders must be secured also..

Has anyone got a copy of these "Working at height" regs..? or more detailed quidelines.?

Working at Height.

LADDERS:

A  The use of ladders by employees is only permitted where the use of more suitable work equipment such as, tower scaffolds, podium steps, temporary stairs or MEWPs is not appropriate and

(i)  the work can be reached without stretching;

(ii)  the ladder can be secured to prevent slipping;

(iii)  a good handhold is available (unless, in the case of a step ladder and when carrying a load, the maintenance of a handhold is not practicable).

B  Timber and aluminium ladders must conform to the appropriate British Standard or other standard i.e. BS 2037 or BS 1129 Class 1

I use these Combi-Ladders.

post-1-1126359869_thumb.jpg

At the moment though, no harness.

67676[/snapback]

These are also what i use and just lately customers are getting very edgy about the use of ladders in a situation where i am working alone.

Now speaking personally i spend 99.99% of my time working by my self (like most other service engineers i would think). Now, at least one of my customers is insisting that if i attend any of their sites and have to use ladders i have to have someone at bottom footing them. I suggested to them that i would use my usual method - using my car at a 'footer' but this was declined. In one instant last week i had to go to office, pick up an apprentice, and then come back to hull to complete the job.

What do the rest of you do when you need to use a ladder to check a bell,change a IR lamp, refocus a camera, or any one of the other day to day duties a lone working service engineer has ?

Now don,t get me wrong i,m all for safety but common sense has to prevail.

i will tie my ladders off to whatever i am working on and use my car or something extremely heavy to prevent slippage. If i don,t feel safe going up without somebody at bottom ,ie inside a building on a slippery floor, then i don, t go up.

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

What do the rest of you do when you need to use a ladder to check a bell,change a IR lamp, refocus a camera, or any one of the other day to day duties a lone working service engineer has ?

We have to call another Engineer to come and assist, if he isn't available at that time we are supposed to re-book the job and attend at a time when we will both be available. This applies to every instance when working above 2 Meters.

Guest Cerberus NI

A site I look after over here sells their safety package to other compnaies and it can be a right pain.Go to change a smoke detector + base and you're generally talking 4 hours minimum!Ladders/steps must be wooden (nice and light!!) and certified once a year (just like me!).If you're working at or above 1.8 m then it's the full harness and fall arrester - could injure yourself more with the PPE!

On the plus side though mobiles ain't allowed so office can't reach me for the three weeks I'm on doing the naintenance! :P

Archived