Security Installer Community

Wiring a GJD 710 communicator to a Scantronic 9651 PD, advice please.

Dear all,

I am not s professional installer, however I have installed several seperate alarm systems in my house, workshop and garage/shed over the years.

I have just installed a wired Scantronic 9651PD control unit with 9943 keypad,band system using various components, Texacom Odessy X3 sounder, Scantronic PIR, several magnetic door and window contacts along with a pyronics glass break detector, and a not sure of the make panic button.

All works sweetly and has been fully tested to the extreme, well it took an extremely long time anyways!

However, bought a GJD 710 speach/text communicator, which I want to use with this system, (with hindsight I should have bought a Scantronic version, but I was limited for choice with the company I bought from.

I thought it would be s simple task of adding just like any other part of the system, but in the Scantronic control unit the communicator connection seems to be via a plug in loom which I assume is really meant for an internal communicator so I'm now not sure how to proceed, 

Whether I wire the communicator to this short wire loom via a sperate connector bock and two 8 core cables?

Does anyone here have experience of the above units and how to connect them please?

I have pictures but can't upload them here.

Thank you kindly in advance for you time and help with my query.

Kind regards,

Barry

1 hour ago, BearKnots said:

Dear all,

I am not s professional installer, however I have installed several seperate alarm systems in my house, workshop and garage/shed over the years.

I have just installed a wired Scantronic 9651PD control unit with 9943 keypad,band system using various components, Texacom Odessy X3 sounder, Scantronic PIR, several magnetic door and window contacts along with a pyronics glass break detector, and a not sure of the make panic button.

All works sweetly and has been fully tested to the extreme, well it took an extremely long time anyways!

However, bought a GJD 710 speach/text communicator, which I want to use with this system, (with hindsight I should have bought a Scantronic version, but I was limited for choice with the company I bought from.

I thought it would be s simple task of adding just like any other part of the system, but in the Scantronic control unit the communicator connection seems to be via a plug in loom which I assume is really meant for an internal communicator so I'm now not sure how to proceed, 

Whether I wire the communicator to this short wire loom via a sperate connector bock and two 8 core cables?

Does anyone here have experience of the above units and how to connect them please?

I have pictures but can't upload them here.

Thank you kindly in advance for you time and help with my query.

Kind regards,

Barry

Earth to DD?

The 9651 doesn't have a plug in dialler, pins are for pins coms as jw said

The ion range used the plugin dialler

As jw get a standalone dialler and use bell trigger or the pins outputs for triggers is possible

Edited by al-yeti

I was in the process of using a GJD SMS unit the other day to monitor access to shared storage and service rooms, unlike most GJD products it is just bought-in and using the menu

system was incredibly painful. (I was using it because the people who owned the block had it abandoned by their sparky who took the job on, bought the kit

then couldn't work out how to get it going...).

Anyway I quickly persuaded the customer I would be using an SD03 (Eaton) which was a dream to use other than the odd situation of needing pull up resistors

(which were not included in the box, and were not 2.2k, grrr!) on NC loops but not NO ones at the same potential. 

OP, I would save some sanity and either ditch the GJD for an SD03 or, cheaper, AND better TELL Compact II, which is USB proggable

(ebay links as its DIY)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSM-Compact-II-Professional-Intruder-Alarm-Auto-Dialer-Calls-SMS/323841153490?hash=item4b666fd9d2:g:g7cAAOSweLBajXCD

I've used the TELL before on fire panels, it really is bullet proof and despite only 2 channels also does temperature and battery monitoring, as well as SMS

number changes so I don't have to visit site.

or... I wouldn't use it myself at least you could fit this within the panel

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Texecom-Veritas-R8-Alarm-SMS-Alert-module/232381515453?epid=2216179021&hash=item361b0486bd:g:Y9AAAOSw5rFa5Y1u

The irony is that if you'd fitted an Eaton (Scantronic) i-ON 40H you would have had broadband app monitoring free for life. (I suspect they will start charging when

the app comes to the commercial panels when they are launched, but have promised existing subs will be free 'forever'). It would have been the same money overall :-/

Either way, I WOULD use the comms pinouts to install whatever unit you use, it'll be fine for that, and has quite a hefty comms PSU capability, something like 500mA I think.

Also, esp. if you continue with the GJD, you can at least use the full 6 or 8 inputs (I forget) for other events such as tampers, power failure, etc...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Only problem with these devices is , that you need a contract SIM 2g , most of them don't work with three or similar Sims they use 

Cheapest contract sin these what £6-7 per month? So your better off spending a bit more on better GSM unit like from advent controls and you can find the odd sin only supplier for £4/5 per month 

How Do All,

Thank you kindly for your replies, this is very much appreciated and very helpful also. 

I bought the GJD from Alert electrical as the system I built is pretty much all the same components as the kit they offer which includes the GJD 701 communicator, only difference was that I wanted the 9943 key pad with proximity tag reader and I used different pir's.

When I bought it you are obviously led to believe that as the sell it as part of a kit that it is fully compatible and would be able to be used as intended.

I will see if I can send it back and will buy one of the recommended communicators above (thank you for the recommendations!)

My intention was to have it set up so that it would contact me via text or speach message if there was an alarm or tamper event and also tell me which sensor was triggered.

I also wanted it to call two other numbers in the event that I triggered the panic button, this being in case I ripped off my fingers in the lathe or similar, so someone would know to send help if I was not capable.

Lastly I wanted to be able to disarm, reset or trigger the alarm using my phone for whatever reason.

The GJD write up gives all of the above as possible, hence why I thought it would work as such with the 9651PD since the company mentioned earlier sold it as a compatible component to their kit.

It's a pity really as you buy from these professional Alarm suppliers expecting they are selling you the correct and fully compatible components.

Anyhow I will let you all know whatbi go with and how it works when I install it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Take care,

Barry.

Edited by BearKnots
Numerical typjng error

7 minutes ago, BearKnots said:

It's a pity really as you buy from these professional Alarm suppliers expecting they are selling you the correct and fully compatible components.

lol, the wholesale sell boxes they have no idea how to fit stuff, your dialer will work with a touch of swearing...

your install is neat, but not how an alarm monkey would do it- bootlace ferrules & a speaker in speaker wire look odd to me

I'm also a semi professional stalker, you decorative work looks good.

I have an acquaintance who's fishes for shell fish & he spends his evenings watching telly, drinking larger & marking lobster pots, to my untrained eye they are really beautifully made & far too good to lob in the sea

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God