Security Installer Community

Veritas R8 help needed

Hi folks - anyone got any wisdom to share?

We have a Veritas R8 installed in our rented bungalow (I think - that's what it says on the control panel).
We never use it as we have a cat... 

Lately it's been going off a lot. The box for it is up in the loft. We hear it making a noise and then you go to the control panel. It isn't doing anything. If you push buttons the control panel starts beeping. Put in the code and it stops. Happening about twice a day. 

Also the light outside is flashing intermittently for hours and sometimes it won't turn off at all. 

I really just want to disable the whole thing - can anyone tell me how? 

cheers

18 minutes ago, brokenrecord said:

Hi folks - anyone got any wisdom to share?

We have a Veritas R8 installed in our rented bungalow (I think - that's what it says on the control panel).
We never use it as we have a cat... 

Lately it's been going off a lot. The box for it is up in the loft. We hear it making a noise and then you go to the control panel. It isn't doing anything. If you push buttons the control panel starts beeping. Put in the code and it stops. Happening about twice a day. 

Also the light outside is flashing intermittently for hours and sometimes it won't turn off at all. 

I really just want to disable the whole thing - can anyone tell me how? 

cheers

What's landlord say? Is he willing to fix it and get an engineer in and pay for it?

Or did he say you guys do as you need to 

To me it sounds like you have an intermittent tamper issue....

All the devices within a normal alarm system  (detectors / bellbox / control panel / keypad etc) are normally tamper protected (I use the term normally as not every body installs to the same standards)

Its is likely that there is an issue with one of these devices or the cable that goes to it.

I would be certainly asking the landlord (or reviewing your tenancy agreement) to understand where the responsibility lies before doing anything  .:ninja:

3 hours ago, brokenrecord said:

Ha, thanks both. 

My agent told me to google it. 

Would you say it needs an engineer then, and it's not something I could sort myself?

If cost is reasonable and repairable then how long you staying there is worth a little security 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2017 at 13:20, norman said:

As above it's more than likely (unless expressly excluded in your agreement) your Landlord's responsibility, why bother wasting your time?

25 minutes ago, aissecur said:

My family has a property they rent out and it has an alarm in it, if there were any issues with it I certainly would not expect the current tenant to put their hand in their pocket to resolve unless it was due to malicious damage. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

7 hours ago, aissecur said:

My family has a property they rent out and it has an alarm in it, if there were any issues with it I certainly would not expect the current tenant to put their hand in their pocket to resolve unless it was due to malicious damage. 

Doesn't even make sense , if landlord isn't bothered and tenant doesn't mind paying , don't be Muppets

Adt make good money on rentals , landlord gets a box on the house , all at tenants cost