Security Installer Community

Mixed wired/wireless alarm

I currently have a wireless alarm at my house (whole thing was £100 from B&Q) and after 6 months the battery in the siren has gone. I would go wired however we have plastered and decorated nearly every room in the house so don't want to be cutting into the walls. Is there any reasonably priced alarm systems that have wireless door and pir sensors with an actual wired siren? Can cope with changing batteries in the house but getting up a ladder (and I don't do heights) twice a year is a no for me! Thanks

Unfortunately, you have fallen for the buy cheap buy twice. When you were in B&Q did you notice that they were not using the cheap tat they sell to protect their premises? I would advise that you take it back as it is less than a year old but as batteries are a consumable I think they could argue that you must have used all the battery power.   

Just take it back if you the reciepts say it's not fit for its purpose you never know might get credit note or exchange for another item 

You want to diy or have it fitted

Diy like pyronix enforcer kit ? Has wired bell option and wireless bell which lasts more than 6months but no comfort LEDs that are bright enough to noticed , has gsm and dialler options

Or texecom which has a great diy helpline , texecom ricochet system harder to setup imo

Expect to pay £500 plus for diy once you add on bits on and Upto £2k installed if you have a complicated setup 

Sounds good eh?

Would want to DIY it as I am "fairly" competent. Thanks for the suggestions, one alternative are there any wireless alarms which use solar panels to keep the siren charged without changing the battery or is it pointless? Thanks

23 minutes ago, Wburke said:

Would want to DIY it as I am "fairly" competent. Thanks for the suggestions, one alternative are there any wireless alarms which use solar panels to keep the siren charged without changing the battery or is it pointless? Thanks

Swerve solar powered, and for that matter anything in B&Q, they do have a wide range of goods some good and some rubbish but most of the electronic security they sell can be found on ebay for half the price (not that I would suggest you buy your security from ebay either. )

There are wireless systems that have bellboxes that just require power, so the wire only needs to be run to the nearest power source and not all the way back to the control panel. I am not sure which brands do this as I do not sell many of the smaller systems so I am less familiar, but I am sure someone will here know.  

Also, something no-one else has mentioned - I regularly fit wired alarms to decorated houses (as we all possibly do).

Since most of the sensors sit in the top corners of the rooms, access from above + clever use of back-to-back locations means a wired

alarm might not be out of the question anyway?

Why not post a plan / drawing of your house, OP?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

2 hours ago, Wburke said:

You could use this if you like for the bell 

https://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/cqr-wireless-external-sounder-complete-with-std-cp-interface-p-1423.html

Buy cheap buy twice! Fitting cheap DIY systems from the limes of B&Q/Screwfix is an advertisement to the local crooks that you have **** security, why not just get a company in to quote for a monitored system therefore you can just have a wireless internal siren and a dummy on the outside but if it's from a reputable company it shows you care about securing your property, it may not cost as much as you think plus with a maintenance contract if there is any issues you have access to correctly trained engineers. Why not post your location here and see if any of the guys here could offer you a quote

My genuine and sincere advice on here as ever, is that you are better off buying a broken Yale bellbox off ebay

than a cheap and nasty alarm system.

Most crims will recognise the yellow peril and some will be put off by it. It is hard to tell a broken one from a working one.

You avoid all the hastles of the fact its a steaming pile by not actually having to use it or set it... And you can keep on

saving for a decent system, starting with the £100 you've just saved.

• Upvote 1

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

2 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

My genuine and sincere advice on here as ever, is that you are better off buying a broken Yale bellbox off ebay

than a cheap and nasty alarm system.

Most crims will recognise the yellow peril and some will be put off by it. It is hard to tell a broken one from a working one.

You avoid all the hastles of the fact its a steaming pile by not actually having to use it or set it... And you can keep on

saving for a decent system, starting with the £100 you've just saved.

Total nonsense 

Well ok apart from one thing don't buy a broken Yale bellbox off eBay

Better getting a used ADT box or even new off eBay 

Not nonsense at all.

Crappy alarm will waste £150-200 of your money, offer zero real protection other than potential bellbox deterrent and more likely to false alarm than real alarm causing neighbours to get pizzed off and ignore ahy alarm in future.

adt box will cost you minimum £70, will still just be a lump of plastic and no more recognised by billy the skaghead chancer than a Yale at £10.

Thats why its a rubbish choice, for sure, but I would 'recommend' a Yale dummy over a working 'response' any day of the week to anyone without the budget for a proper system. On here, that is, of course.

All depends on the risk of course, if you are known for dealing in used bank notes with random serial numbers you would need a proper alarm, if you only just have a pot to urinate in then the Yale bell box will do just fine. Anything in-between those two requires more or less kit.  

It never ceases to amaze me that people are must have the latest iphone regardless of cost but dont want to spend any money on protecting the contents of their home. The enquiries we get after the event, people have lost their irreplaceable jewellery left to them by their dear old granny, and their wide screen TV, and someone has left them a small brown package in the middle of there new lounge cream deep pile, for the sake of saving a few hundred £. I even had one customer that had to move because his missus refused to go back. The misery of a burglary versus the money it costs for a proper alarm, it just never makes sense to me.

3 hours ago, PeterJames said:

All depends on the risk of course, if you are known for dealing in used bank notes with random serial numbers you would need a proper alarm, if you only just have a pot to urinate in then the Yale bell box will do just fine. Anything in-between those two requires more or less kit.  

It never ceases to amaze me that people are must have the latest iphone regardless of cost but dont want to spend any money on protecting the contents of their home. The enquiries we get after the event, people have lost their irreplaceable jewellery left to them by their dear old granny, and their wide screen TV, and someone has left them a small brown package in the middle of there new lounge cream deep pile, for the sake of saving a few hundred £. I even had one customer that had to move because his missus refused to go back. The misery of a burglary versus the money it costs for a proper alarm, it just never makes sense to me.

I have also dealt with the far end of the spectrum, millionaire land owner (currently worth £16.9 mill)  79 years old and still first in the office, and last out. He'd been robbed twice and wouldn't pay for his damaged radio PA replacing, I asked him what price he put on his safety and he said not £200 (or whatever) and asked me to disconnect it. There's Numerous others...

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I hope the money comments are not aimed at me. I have a safe fitted, along with CCTV covering every inch of my property so I do not know where the money comments have come from. I am in a position now to get a decent alarm, when I fitted the one from B&Q it was just after I had bought a house and a year before my wedding so money was very tight. I live in a relatively low crime area but do value my property and positions so want something good that will last. Any actual advice about decent alarms would be appreciated.

They were not aimed at anyone, topics often go off topic, nerds tend to chat 

On 1/1/2017 at 11:07 AM, al-yeti said:

Just take it back if you the reciepts say it's not fit for its purpose you never know might get credit note or exchange for another item 

You want to diy or have it fitted

Diy like pyronix enforcer kit ? Has wired bell option and wireless bell which lasts more than 6months but no comfort LEDs that are bright enough to noticed , has gsm and dialler options

Or texecom which has a great diy helpline , texecom ricochet system harder to setup imo

Expect to pay £500 plus for diy once you add on bits on and Upto £2k installed if you have a complicated setup 

Sounds good eh?

Good to hear, all the emails that were coming through made it seem like they were aimed at me. I know I am not in the know in this area but living with my mum during a time where she had repeated break-ins has made me very security conscious so want to get it sorted.