Security Installer Community

Mixed wired/wireless alarm

17 minutes ago, Wburke said:

I hope the money comments are not aimed at me. I have a safe fitted, along with CCTV covering every inch of my property so I do not know where the money comments have come from. I am in a position now to get a decent alarm, when I fitted the one from B&Q it was just after I had bought a house and a year before my wedding so money was very tight. I live in a relatively low crime area but do value my property and positions so want something good that will last. Any actual advice about decent alarms would be appreciated.

we see stuff like that often

I often get called to jobs where the electrics are neglected to the point of being dangerous and never been altered since installed in the 50/60's etc, but they dont want to spend any money on fixing anything. yet they will happily spend thousands on a new kitchen or bathroom

ref the safe, if its a cheap one with a digital lock, you can usually open them without the code in a few seconds and leave no evidence...

16 minutes ago, Wburke said:

Good to hear, all the emails that were coming through made it seem like they were aimed at me. I know I am not in the know in this area but living with my mum during a time where she had repeated break-ins has made me very security conscious so want to get it sorted.

Stick around here a bit longer and you will be assimilated

13 minutes ago, andy™ said:

ref the safe, if its a cheap one with a digital lock, you can usually open them without the code in a few seconds and leave no evidence...

Slightly less time if you don't care who sees...

And unfortunately CCTV is not often very useful, was it professionally fitted? Even if the resolution is good enough, often the angles are wrong with DIY and all that will happen is that you'll come home hours after the event to see pictures of hooded men entering the house and leaving with the TV you can see with your own eyes is missing.

I have a funny feeling though that I might be giving out advice that is not what is wanted to be heard...

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

10 hours ago, norman said:

Cctv is useless 90% of the time ime. 

I must have been lucky with mine then, three times Ive caught people who have "accidentally" damaged my car but not said anything. I caught the kids that tried to break into my shop, and I identified the kids that went around my village stealing from cars, because they came onto my driveway. The only thing I can say is in all those occasions the people committing the crimes had not planned the crime to begin with. I would say its lower than 90% overall but yes CCTV is quite easy to overcome if planned. 

Oh and those cheap safes are worth leaving around in plain sight with nothing in, twice now I have heard of customers who have had break ins and all they took was the safe that was empty. It would seem that once the burglar has found what he thinks is your valuables he gets out.

3 hours ago, PeterJames said:

I must have been lucky

three times Ive caught people who have "accidentally" damaged my car but not said anything.

I caught the kids that tried to break into my shop

I identified the kids that went around my village stealing from cars, because they came onto my driveway.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I think the salient point is that we assume the systems were decent i.e high resolution, and properly installed!

Also in the village situation it's more likely you'll recognise people, I suppose. Depends how isolated you are.

This is probably the biggest difference between PJ CCTV and DIY CCTV...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

47 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

I think the salient point is that we assume the systems were decent i.e high resolution, and properly installed!

Also in the village situation it's more likely you'll recognise people, I suppose. Depends how isolated you are.

This is probably the biggest difference between PJ CCTV and DIY CCTV...

I didnt know him but the Police did. That time I had Mega-Pixel cams all the other times they were analogue, but the cameras were positioned correctly. Aimed at getting faces and not tops of heads like many systems I have seen. I forgot to add the cameras on the shop also got two really good images of a couple of burglars that broke into a house up the end of the road. In fact we captured the whole thing only the house was too far away to get the number plates of the car. 

37 minutes ago, norman said:

That and the fact they don't see through hoodies...

Bit of a moot point though when you usually wouldn't be able to use the images for ID even if they weren't wearing them!

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, norman said:

That and the fact they don't see through hoodies...

Sometimes its the way a person walks, moves around that people can id from. The kids that smashed my window came back a few days later and pulled a cable from one of the cameras, this time they were wearing hoodies on but they were wearing all the same clothes they were wearing the day they smashed the window. So we already had the ID pictures you could tell it was them without doubt. In a court of law you could argue that it was someone pretending to be them but I cant see any jury falling for that one.

10 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

West Yorkshire Police slotted an asian drug peddler the other day-

3BD0BD1E00000578-4082864-The_father_of_t

&

[imh]http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/88b85867297c852cf0e047c8970b7fda[/img]

oftend CCTV on houses points to the problem.. 

The only sad thing about this is they didn't waste the other losers in the cars with him, oh! and they wasted 3 bullets when one would have done...

3 minutes ago, norman said:

The only sad thing about this is they didn't waste the other losers in the cars with him, oh! and they wasted 3 bullets when one would have done...

Even if one of em was yours ?

1 minute ago, MrHappy said:

well at least the the petrol station will make a few quid on the flowers for to be laid at the scene...

Sign of death 

Just now, al-yeti said:

Even if one of em was yours ?

They never would be one of mine, I have brought my 2 up to know right from wrong, the other scroates with him were lucky members of the "Bradford Massiv" but we'll see when the full story comes out.

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

Sometimes its the way a person walks, moves around that people can id from. .

I agree but not legally and certainly nothing that would be used in court.

2 minutes ago, norman said:

They never would be one of mine, I have brought my 2 up to know right from wrong, the other scroates with him were lucky members of the "Bradford Massiv" but we'll see when the full story comes out.

I agree but not legally and certainly nothing that would be used in court.

Ive known numpties to put their hands up, to stuff not knowing it cant be used against them, more so now there is less legal aid