Security Installer Community

Engineer's Code

JohnRMoore

Hi we have a GT490X that occasionally complains of 'low-volts' or something similar. I assume it is the backup battery packing up. I would like to investigate changing the battery myself, or at least put the job out to tender. The alarm is a 'non-maintained' alarm, but has been recently worked on by the original installers ACE. Do I need to request that ACE provide me with the engineer's code? If I do, should I expect that they would do this? Would I be able to change the battery without it, or would I risk setting off an anti-tamper system that I could never reset by just using my normal password? As you can probably tell, I don't even know enough to be sure I'm asking the right questions even. I don't mind paying out but feel a little irritated that I might be tied to ACE. How should I proceed to ensure I get a fair quote on this job?

Any help much appreciated :)

And if you really wanted, they would (should) change the engineer code at that visit to '1234' or similar as part of or as a small addition to the service price.

However, they would probably then want nothing further to do with the system, so you would then be on your own.

If you don't know what you're doing (and this goes further than 'reading the manual') it might not be such a good idea.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

How should I proceed to ensure I get a fair quote on this job?

If your unhappy with the price that "Ace" charge you ring around other local alarm companies,

however a one off repair to a domestic bells only alarm might not be of much interest to some firms ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

You shouldn't feel tied to ACE. If you own the panel a one off charge and you can switch.

The engineers code is a simple way to provide some security to them and there customers but also importantly yourself.

They need to know that only there engineers can program the system, to provide you with the best service possible.

It's the same for most alarm companies if you switched.

• 2 months later...