Security Installer Community

Monitored Alarm No Longer Near A Phone Socket

Chall

Virgin probably installed it from where there t was situated , if you cause a fuss they will probably come out and install it cheaper , otherwise you pay full for an extension whatever there charge is

You can't use a wireless extender as the phone line is monitored, the extender might be able to provide 50v at the panel, but what if the actual telephone line goes down??, it won't be monitored.

Virgin and bt will always put the master socket where it is easiest for them. There all tw@ts, just like sky and all the others.

At first, i agreed with norman, but then also not sure why they want to puta new 'box' in and charge 1000. They could run a new cable to the master socket and bill you for that. Might be a case of having your pants down.

Telecoms chap is probably the way to go, although i'd of fooked off the virgin engineer andtold them were to shove it.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Why?

I have nothing against ADT, however, a local would just quote a GSM or Wifi solution for a lot less than £800, now ADT may also be a lot less than £800 but  engineer should have called the office and quoted the correct price. At the end of the day its about giving the customer the right information so they can make the right decision

I have nothing against ADT, however, a local would just quote a GSM or Wifi solution for a lot less than £800, now ADT may also be a lot less than £800 but  engineer should have called the office and quoted the correct price. At the end of the day its about giving the customer the right information so they can make the right decision

the way i read it is the adt engineer didnt try to get him to upgrade and gave the cost reason as to much to be viable and probably told the sub to get a socket fitted next to the panel,but then you have 2 members encouraging the sub to ditch adt for no reason than they are not a local,now thats what i call impartial advice  :-

the way i read it is the adt engineer didnt try to get him to upgrade and gave the cost reason as to much to be viable and probably told the sub to get a socket fitted next to the panel,but then you have 2 members encouraging the sub to ditch adt for no reason than they are not a local,now thats what i call impartial advice  :-

No, it sounded to me as if ADT had already given their options / reasons to the OP and he didn't like either of them.

They also stated that to wire a socket would be very difficult if not impossible.

So GPRS would have been a good solution.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

No, it sounded to me as if ADT had already given their options / reasons to the OP and he didn't like either of them.

They also stated that to wire a socket would be very difficult if not impossible.

So GPRS would have been a good solution.

Not that I didn't like either of them I'm quite happy to get another extension but I didn't see why the wireless extender wouldn't have worked. But I have learnt that GPRS is probably the way to go and we will look into that in the near future.

Thanks for all the responses, you've been most helpful.

But the most cost effective would be a socket in the kitchen.

You're saying that, but £kitchen socket + £reconnection + £carrying on with existing monitoring = £?

Vs. takeover and digiair = £?

Could be drastically different over the long run.

If ADT had offered a GPRS solution, I wouldn't have taken any issue with that, at all. I am NOT anti ADT (or any national)

OP, the reasons the wireless extender is no good (and this may differ to how you understood it / how it was explained) is..

1. It may not support the kinds of data the alarm transmits due to very tight bandwidth / clipping

2. It may or may not provide 50V when the 'telephone' (alarm modem) is perceived to be 'on hook'.

3. If the above is wrong, in that case it would almost certainly still provide 50V even when there is no outside line, so the alarm would not know the line had been cut / failed.

4. If the power were to fail (or, more importantly, be turned off deliberately) your alarm would not communicate, at all.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands