Security Installer Community

Advice On System Upgrade To Hd

Davidm10

Hi, im new and looking for a bit of advice.

I currently have a 8 channel Robox Barracuda 1 Dvr with 4 600 tvl cameras with RG59 cable . I was happy at first but now im looking for a bit better quality and more range on the night vision.

Im a bit of a novice at this and bought some new cameras from ebay and now im not even sure if they are HD. The cameras I got say 1200tvl on them which I was told was the same as HD is this true?

The next problem is I plugged them in and they don't work. The person that sold me them said it was because the old power supply was 3 amp and the new ones required 8 amp as they had new style high power leds for the night vision (The new cameras only have 2 large Leds) Does this sound right?

The 3rd question is now that I have researched this am I right in thinking I need to upgrade my DVR to achieve the full benefit of the cameras or will I get away with using the existing DVR?

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated as im beginning to wish I never started with this upgrade now :(  . I just thought it would give me something to do over the holidays ...

Thanks Again.

Well the good news is that one ebay you can return things easily now, and that's what I would do.

I know nothing about your DVR but it is possible your new cameras will be no better (recorded) than the current ones.

The new cameras are NOT HD, they are just a higher resolution, but again this is mostly meaningless.

What you need is a new DVR and some real HD cameras, like HD-SDI.

Have a look here - DVR - Cam 1 - Cam 2 - these are top notch, and you won't look back. The only thing is your existing

cameras (unless they are close together enough to be rewired anyway) will need co-ax cable with BNC connectors,

HD-SDI will not run over twisted pair type wiring.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Are the ebay cameras HDSDI or ADH? I dont think there is such a thing as a 1200TVL analogue camera and even if there was your DVR would not be able to process 1200TVL

1000tvl normally

Interesting point though what will get processed 1000? 700? Or only some dvrs will do it

It's not even how it sounds either, it has little to do with the number of lines on a screen, not like resolution!

TVL is an inherent quality of a camera or monitor and should not be confused with the horizontal scanning lines of broadcast television systems

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands