Security Installer Community

On Call Rate

Prodigious

Its a rota system so normally it be every 7th or 8th week.  To be honest we don't often get called out thou.  Most we get call out for is Locksmith services which we get a £20 commission for fitting a new lock! 

so a week on call every 7 weeks

£20 commision to the engineer for a lock swap? You said the other day your company charge the customer £5 for a lock swap. Some of the things you come out with are just plain odd. Are you now saying that on top of 28 days holiday you get an additional 7.4 weeks of holiday as time in lieu evey year for doing standby 1 in 7?

Why you would get £20 commission for a lock swap baffles me

Surely a lock would only be recommended if the job genuinely required it, I would hope.
Why would it need you "or the engineer" pushing or recommending for it, hence getting commission ??

Sounds wrong, It makes it look like there is an incentive to push for things that would not need be replaced, just for the commission 

That's like saying every battery backup I swap, I will get £5 or £10 for.... If the job genuinely needed it, then the job must have it regardless.

Sounds wrong, It makes it look like there is an incentive to push for things that would not need be replaced, just for the commission 

That's like saying every battery backup I swap, I will get £5 or £10 for.... If the job genuinely needed it, then the job must have it regardless.

This happens at our place. £5 for a battery replacement. Service engineers also get commission for any Pir's they replace which like you say seems daft when it requires replacing anyway, just encouraging more blagging. Business is business though and i guess the figures make sense to the accountants. I suspect the customers would be far from pleased if the ever found out though. 

Nah I am salaried,  My wage is £20-£30k a year,    We get paid per hour on call thou for example I be on call for weekend so that is between 7pm to 8am. = 11 hours.

Hopefully I explain this better - 

For for 11 hours we get £2.50 x 11 = £27.50

If I get a call for any part of they 11 hours I get £8.50 x Hours = Y 

We don't get mega bucks unlike our competitors however we also get a day in leu which is worth it! 

Hopefully that makes sense. 

Fancy moving South for a pay rise?