Security Installer Community

Starting Up

I must confess, prior to the current venture did much the same at the expense of being with the family. Now my girls nearly 12, I regret that. Cards in and time off would have done nicely in hindsight.

Those of you here that are either self employed or directors, could you ever go back to employment? I couldn't even if I was offered the same money I get now with all the greif.

There are jobs cards in that can take over your life without you realising too.

Alarm engineer not being one of them judging by my lot!

I think we have the whole work life balance screwed. You go abroad and see how horizontal some people are towards work and look in the mirror and think what am I doing?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Share your secret of being able to let go and wind down :)

Every minute I'm awake I've got business on the brain and I'd really love to know the secret of doing nothing but relax and enjoy family time. Do you switch mobile off?

No mobile is on and have web access, but calls not to me so it's very very rare I get a call. Since being told I had very high blood pressure etc a couple of years ago due to stressing over that kind of stuff I had a big change and thought feck it.

It can wait until tomorrow / Monday etc, I now wind down at weekends if I am not on call and try not to think of work until Monday morning, and i get to spend quality time with my family.

I've grown quite resentful of said fruit phone. I can't help myself. Got to look at it and if a little red symbol adjacent the mail icon then no stopping me. Got to read and respond. Ridiculous behaviour. Feel like an addict.

Same boat here, Got 14 email addresses on mi fruit phone, for various departments and companies,

Once it goes Ding....  You cant help but pick the little devil up

Evil invention. I have an app the monitors our 70 odd servers and the minute something goes wrong it chirps only then to find out it's just a server restart following windows updates.

Problem is unless in the early years you want to sign up to the 80 hours week the chance of you failing is so high. Even if you do, no guarantee of success. That's why we turned to acquisition, much easier but couldn't have done that without having the avenue of hard graft completed first. Sometimes on that note I feel bad. Someone has out years into a business and the wolves are at the door only for us or someone else to offer 50p for a business they've out their heart and soul into. Sad reality is hours worked doesn't translate to value in all cases.

We are all mad :)

I probably take 5-10 calls per year after 5pm, not worked a weekend in over 7 years and spend them with the family mainly. You can keep your self employment...

Your kids will remember the time spent with them, not the amount of cash.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.