Security Installer Community

Speaker Vs Bell On Texecom Premier

zerozero

As you guys all well know, you are just reducing risk by increasing cost/complexity. 

>>> Totally disagree. Absolutely meaningless statement.

I don't believe that a bells only system is equivalent to no system as has been suggested. I'm also not particularly happy about putting people I care about (neighbours/friends/family) unnecessarily in harms way to protect replaceable items. Obviously I don't want it to happen, I'm just not going to try to stop it at any cost.

>>> Sadly, that is EXACTLY what you do when you ask someone to hold a key for a bells only alarm (as you mentioned earlier), and approach knowing nothing about why, when and how it went off.

So really just installing a 2400 and/or GSM is going to be of limited benefit without employing an ARC at a recurring cost which I'm not prepared to pay for right now. so then I am in Police response URN territory which is even more cost and complexity. So for now, happy with bells only and perhaps a 2400 to alert me if I am in the area to do anything about it. I may chat with the neighbours to see if any of them might want to be alerted and/or keyholders but like I say this is all very much secondary for what I want the alarm for.

>>> No, monitored does not mean compulsory URN whatsoever. And zero extra complexity if done correctly. When using the alarm, my customers would have no idea they were monitored unless I hadn't told them! Properly monitored means that you have a much higher chance of the signal getting though, and the loss of reporting ability being notified. No-one on here is trying to put you off DIYing it, there is nothing wrong with that, if you are aware of the limitations of it. What people on here do take exception to is the usual round of people trying to talk themselves round that DIY is as good - if not better - than professionally installed, that all risks are so remote they will 'never happen to me' and generally not listening to the advice given from people who do this for a living.

p.s Sorry James.

Sorry, I think my intention has got a bit confused in the replies. Let me clarify.

- Initially I will install bells only which is primarily to alert me/family if we are in the house of a fire/break-in. Not too worried if we are not in but if a neighbour spots intruder/calls police that is a bonus. The area I live in, neighbours would be more aware than many areas, but if they dont I still think that this is valuable.

- Later (maybe weeks / maybe months) I may install 2400 / gsm with me as the reciever. (I may ask certain trusted and reliable neighbours if they are interested in also being alerted & keyholder but probably by exception when on holiday etc). This way me/they would be alerted what the trigger was.

- Later I may appoint some kind of 3rd party monitoring + response.

I don't see why the statement "you are just reducing risk by increasing cost/complexity." is controversial. If someone can tell me how I can reduce my risks without increasing cost / complexity I'd be very interested. The is little doubt about what constitutes increased cost, but increased complexity includes, more equipment and/or more people/companies involved who need managing (as well as paying).

I may not understand this very well or be using the correct terminology - but what would the normal cost (or range) of having a monitored/response service to a residential property. I guess this is really what we are talking about instead of a URN?

I have only had time to glance through the thread ... anyway ....

Avoid Com2400, TAP text messaging will not work reliably.

Setting the bells to SCB mode will reduce the volume slightly but it means they will only draw a standby current even in alarm.

It's not the power supply rating it's the standby battery time that is important.

You need to aim for ~500mA per 7Ah battery/PSU (rough calculations).

You could just push everything on to one 17Ah battery, but I would personally use more power supplies and 7Ah batteries.

You need to calculate this yourself, using the paperwork supplied with everything.

The internal speaker(s) will make a confirmation sound at the end of the settle time to confirm the alarm is armed.

trust is the issue. while its likly either will work when needed there is no regular test proving any path is available to deliver alarm infomation. 'if' one assumes a mobile can actually make a call etc when its needed has never had a dropped call or a call bombing on their own mobile, which in most cases a phone is more expensive than the bit of kit your placing the trust on.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Gsm units can be programmed to do daily test, and for a diy install what's the issue? If your not paying for full monitoring by an arc then having a gsm unit combined with fixed landline dialler is next best thing

Polled integrity checked of course is best

Gsm units can be programmed to do daily test, and for a diy install what's the issue? If your not paying for full monitoring by an arc then having a gsm unit combined with fixed landline dialler is next best thing Polled integrity checked of course is best

Daily test. Brilliant. So proves it's working for 30 seconds a day out of the potential 86,400.

Nice .

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived