Security Installer Community

What Is Everyone Installing Cable Wise ?

emsgeorge

I've always installed coax and some flat twin flex for power to cameras when doing my own stuff / private jobs.

When subbing, it has always depended on what we were supplied at site, some gave coax shotgun cable, some reels of flex and 59, or cat5 and flex for power.

Now we are installing more and more cat5 type cables - not only for ip systems, but also for analogue stuff, on the premise of 'makes upgrading easy'. Last week, we had 10 reels of cat5 shotgun cable, with a run to each camera, balun on the end to convert to bnc.

What are people using ? Is everyone still using coax , or are people putting in cat5 even on analogue installs  ?

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I used the cat5 shotgun from adata last week. Actually nice stuff to work with, compared to the dirt cheap cat5 some supply us with ......

Thanks for the replies gents, I might switch to cat5 and baluns for installs now, to future proof it, and also means in a pinch I can run a further 3 cameras on the other pairs.