Security Installer Community

4 Camera System Advise Please

richard3009

No but the thinking is any cable promotes a (water) bridge between the skins?

That job I did yesterday with the GJDs, they are going to have a massive damp bill,

and I really am wondering if its to do with where the new wires have been fished through

from the new CU up the cavity in the (buried in the hillside at back wall) garage?

They've already had the CU changed to an IP rated hager type, but that clearly isn't the answer...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mounting the cameras at high level will do nothing apart from give you the top of someone's head.

I usually install the IR Domes at bedroom window level, Drill into the cavity at 45 degree to the roof, then Super rod an external Cat5 to the loft 

This way leaves not even 1" of cable on show externally, Makes a fantastic finish to the job

Customers are still amazed to this day, they always say, Where is the cable. Its not on the outside or the inside.... How you done that.... Magic

How do you get out of the top of the cavity?

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

With our 1994 built house, you don't... :(

Thick plastic sheet cemented at the top, when fitting my BBs I had to drill all the way.

Any distance from the soffit less than the length of the longest sds, forget it!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

The reason i ask, and as sata has pointed out, the cavity should be sealed at the top, usually brick on edge or slates, its only recently building regs has changed and the top of the cavity remains open but the cavity batts/insulation must continue out the cavity and across the roof space with no gaps so as there is no thermal bridge.

If the cavity is open at the top its down to dodgy builders.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

There's that tangent again

I disagree cctv is done in many ways and one of them is an overview of the area, mounting cameras low isn't always the best way better to mount high and low

All about budget if you can't afford having them both then read the tangent

Sorry but I thought wiring was not allowed through the cavity and that the meter tails were the exception , unless that's changed

How do you get out of the top of the cavity?

Normally out of the big gap? 

Of course I'm being facetious.  Some are capped, some are not.  You can stitch around the capping (we had to do this recently in a thatched bungalow).  I believe you're not meant to use cavities any longer but (except the bell) you're only going from inside and up and there is a big hole all around so I don't see the problem.  Newer houses aren't an issue thanks to the flood of wireless *****.

Normally out of the big gap? 

Of course I'm being facetious.  Some are capped, some are not.  You can stitch around the capping (we had to do this recently in a thatched bungalow).  I believe you're not meant to use cavities any longer but (except the bell) you're only going from inside and up and there is a big hole all around so I don't see the problem.  Newer houses aren't an issue thanks to the flood of wireless *****.

talking of wireless *****, anyone tried the new ricochet pa?  i have to quote 1 on a job.

Archived