Security Installer Community

Risco Agility 3

paul44

1, this isn't an autoupdate, ie you have to upload the firmware using the software. This means it can be done locally and remotely. Ive upgraded hkc panels over local usb and remotely via pstn

2, but to get access to the menus etc the system is already compromised

3, true but tat is the case with any update system

1. It isn't currently, for your situation. I think arfur was mentioning something about devices on the same bus on Risco updating each other without interaction. Sounds pretty automatic in that situation.

2. We assume the auto update is secure. A fairly common vulnerability on routers is to lock down the firmware upgrade through the web UI but leave the TFTP route wide open, or as we have seen recently, with a convenient unchangeable admin account/backdoor method.

3. Yet, it is, but some are better than others. See issues with BT and O2 pushing out updates to their routers - they brick a proportion of them when users see their router not working properly, they kill the power halfway through the update.

I'm not saying it should be totally avoided, just it does carry risks.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

Cannot disagree with anything said by CG, and part of the reason i fear it. When i was at Guardall and we had these discussions it was always with the intention of using two chips for the firmware update process, in case it crashed or could not be verified.

As for Routers, i have had two Linksys (Cisco) routers brick during and automatic firmware update, i now don't trust them, won't use them and stick to NetGear, i don't know if its better but it has not died yet during a firmware upgrade.

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

• 3 weeks later...

The touch screen is only really to be used by the customer for everyday arming / disarming. It doesn't have the speed to keep up with programming up systems by the engineer.

i simply don't agree, i find it a breeze having nice large touch icons instead if the wobbly rubber buttons, only thing i will say is i had to overcome my habit of steadying my hand with my middle finger while typing, but if you really want speed then best lay the touchpad down flat, i tend ti use a PC.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

afaik, when you first boot up main panel and keypad will auto update to which ever has the latest version, now you add an expander and again if that has later siftware then the previous kit is updated.

there is also the more traditional update route via download the profile and using UDL, i'm not sure if connected via network the update can be done over the internet directly, i see no real reason why not as long as it has to be instigated from the controls, much like my smart Tv

They will want the touchscreen if its cheap.

jiml re advantage over msx etc. It can be done remotly, I'm guessing you cant change an msx card that way.

£40 difference in trade cost, it!s aesthetics over the smaller keypad that usually wins over the wives, lets face it most times an alarm is viewed as just another 'boys toy' if not driven by insurance or previous intrusion experience's.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 6 months later...

reading this thread makes me feel almost ready to pack up and go home.

Every system has its quirks, when you are used to them it makes life much simplier, given all the threads and experiences to date theres not one manufacturer  today that hasn't had an issue or 2.

I am familiar with Texecom and getting to grips with the Risco stuff, and touched on other equipment.

Back to the original question of the thread, the FM works fine if its setup correctly, first thing is to make sure the system is setup as 0UK rather then the default value of 0EN, I had a similar issue when I was first looking at the kit.

The signal strength, you should calibrate and adjust for noise, I have texecom hard wired and wireless around the office and using the Agility 3 wireless no issues, not to mention wireless heating controls and not a problem at all with intereference on any thing.

If you are struggling their tech support people should be able to help.

Batteries are a big issue, installers around here always having to go back to replace batteries or dis able the external sirens due to faults, its rubbish

And costs to much in comparison

Honeywell is much better than agility and I am sure some dont fit either product hint hint

Forgot to mention they Muppets to! Ie disco I mean risco

Forgot to mention they Muppets to! Ie disco I mean risco