Security Installer Community

Texecom Install & Programming Question

uwave

Hi I've bought a Premiere Elite 24-W kit and busy reading install manuals.

With the kit I get the Wintex software but no cable. I read in manual that board coms is RS232 and am given baud rate etc so easy to config pc com port for this. Question is do I need to buy the JAC-0001 cable or is this just straight forward RS232 3 wire (Tx, Rx, Ground) at board connector  though I see board has 4 pins (shield?) and if it is just straight forward can anyone tell me which pin is which. i.e looking at the board and starting left to right 4 pins....what are they? If I know them then I guess I can make my own cable or is there something special that means I need to use the JAC-0001?

It would be nice to use the Wintex if just for back up after programming is done else I can use keypad to save buying the expensive Texecom cable as my pc has RS232 and USB and I have a USB to RS232 lead too.

One other question if anyone knows...I plan to connect Prem Elite Odyssey 3 (115db) bell box (FCC1121) and another bell box model Odyssey 5 compact (109db - FCF0006). Can the 24W board supply enough current to drive both of these bell boxes from the external sounder contacts?

Thanks for any reply.

Question is do I need to buy the JAC-0001 cable or is this just straight forward RS232 3 wire (Tx, Rx, Ground) at board connector  though I see board has 4 pins (shield?) and if it is just straight forward can anyone tell me which pin is which. i.e looking at the board and starting left to right 4 pins....what are they? If I know them then I guess I can make my own cable or is there something special that means I need to use the JAC-0001?

It would be nice to use the Wintex if just for back up after programming is done else I can use keypad to save buying the expensive Texecom cable as my pc has RS232 and USB and I have a USB to RS232 lead too.

Best to use the supplied cables unless you know how to wire up one of these:-

http://www.st.com/web/catalog/sense_power/FM1968/CL1179/SC392/PF66106

I use the JAA_0001 (Serial lead with my own Serial to USB converter, it avoids driver issues with the USB version.

One other question if anyone knows...I plan to connect Prem Elite Odyssey 3 (115db) bell box (FCC1121) and another bell box model Odyssey 5 compact (109db - FCF0006). Can the 24W board supply enough current to drive both of these bell boxes from the external sounder contacts?

Probably not in standard SAB mode, possibly in SCB mode and LC mode. Make sure the bells are compatible for multiple bellbox configuration and series the tampers. Alternatively both could be standard SAB with extra PSU like a PSU200.

I think you'll find the com ports are TTL as even the Serial lead has a powered converter in the middle

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Thanks for the JAA-0001 and explanation and advice.

If I may ask another question as still reading manuals.

W24 has 4 zone contact pairs. I planned to connect as follows.

Z1 = PIR entry/exit as EOL (as it uses this one zone to detect tamper and alarm)

Z2 = 2 pirs connected in series as EOL.

Z3 = pir EOL

Z4 = pir EOL

All aboive are hard wired PIR's

I plan to get this working first.

Then I plan to add 3 x wiresless PIR and 1 wireless contact switch connected to 2 garage doors.

Reading the manual I get the impression as I add a wireless pir I need to allocate it to a zone. Although its wireless do I add it to either Z2,Z3 or Z4...I guess the Ricochet takes care of pir tamper and alarm decisions.

I ask as I expected to simply add wireless kit and maybe define new wireless zones...i.e Z5 etc one for each wireless pir.

Else I guess I can free up Z4 and connect 2 wired pir's to Z3 then Z4 becomes "wireless" zone .....or do I even need to do this as I'm simply using up zones for wired just so if one fails I know which one without testing. I'm assuming even if I add wireless pirs to zone 4 that already has a wired pir then the 24W can still figure out if its the wired pir on Z4 or one of the additional 3 wireless pirs added to that zone that caused the alarm or has a fault.

I might be misreading the manual and I've not got kit installed yet to try so maybe it will become clear later.

Thanks again.

Thanks....so as 24W has up to 8 wireless Ricochet on board then I take it the 4 Ricochet sensors I will add will be Zone 009 to Zone 012 and will only "materialise" once learning is done?

Looking at Wintex it seems I cannot add them as I guess control panel needs to recognise their unique ID as part of learning. So I expect I can upload hardware config to control unit first, add hard wired sensors and test all is ok. Then learn wireless sensors so panel know them, then download to Wintex and they will appear in Wintex app (Zones 009 - 012) and so I can keep a copy or make changes as I wish and upload to control panel from then on as required.

I agree with contacts on doors for entry but its not possible, well too much trouble and doors and frames are oak so I do not wish to make a mess of them and my existing alarm I am replacing used pir for exit entry.

One question though: One zone == One Device

Reading manual pdf that came with the kit     i.e  INS176-9 Premier24,48, 88,168,640 Install Low.pdf

On page 31 "Zone Connections" it cites

"When using End Of Line wiring, only 1 device should normally be connected to each zone."

Then it immediately shows 2 diagrams one with 2 sensors in series and the other with just one sensor suggesting more than one sensor can be connected per zone.

Then just after the diagrams the manual cites "When using this configuration, no more than 3 detectors can be connected to each zone."

So as I have 5 hard wired pir's , one Exit/Entry, then I have to pair up at least 2 on the same zone. I realise if there is a fault on that zone the control unit will not be able to identify which pir is at fault but that is fine.

Any comments appreciated.

post-59899-0-29674400-1380871093_thumb.j

Few reasons why one zone= one device, ease of fault diagnosis, integrity of system in the event of a fault or omit situation-if you go on holiday and the system is set for auto rearm/auto omit-it could happen that those devices in series will effectively be turned off, not good losing nearly 50% of your detection when you rely on it most.

Have you not got enough cores to seperate the two devices?.

Thanks for explanation.

Where 2 pirs will  be wired in series this is not omit option zone, I will have one zone that may have omit option but if away no zones will be omitted...I assumed auto rearm will rearm all zones. Only time one zone will be omitted is when I'm in bed so if alarm goes off I'm in and will not ignore it but if I did (just to clarify) would the auto rearm simply rearm as per last armed condition...ie omit the zone again? Likewise if I'm out and all zones are on, will auto rearm rearm all zones? (I'm expecting so).

All existing hard wired pir's are uniquely wired back to existing control panel with 8 core (6 used) so I plan to fit 4k7 resister in pirs across alarm contacts as required and will make wiring inside control panel to accomodate EOL 2k2 as required then back to tamper contacts to each pir to suit.

I accept by connecting hard wired pirs in series (only 2 of them though) I lose ease of diagnostics for that zone.

I guess this shows how the new kit is different from my old kit where all sensors are in series and no help to identify faults. I have the option to install the new kit in this manner too but now I read about EOL option I prefer it so will use it but I agree maybe the 48W would have been better as it offers more zones but I'm happy with W24 as it turns out its still miles better (and much more expensive) than my old panel or similar newer panels but the Ricochet came highly recommended on this site and the wireless allows me to add more sensors without having to hard wire.

One other thing I still find unclear is regarding the keypad. I have the LCDP model and the manual talks about Keypad Zones. Mine has 2 according to Wintex.

Does this mean I could in fact connect exit/entry pir to one of the keypad zones (call one zone 5 on keypad say, the other zone 6) and map keypad zone 5 to control panel zone 5 (next afer existing zone 4) and this will free up zone 1 on control panel so I can split intended serial pirs on zone 2. Is this ok or is it better to make keypad zone 5 a normal Guard zone and keep entry/exit zone on control panel?

Thanks again for any advice.

Archived