Security Installer Community

Texecom Install & Programming Question

uwave

Hi - I'm not in this business nor claim to be an expert hence I'm asking for advice and help and am very happy to act on that advice as I have hopefully gratefully indicated.

My curiosity to understand is not meant to be offensive and I try to be curteous in my questions and understand the advice given.

All I can say is at least 2 neighbours have alarms that often alarm when power is lost...it's not my problem (bar one night many years ago when I got up to help a neighbour, opened the panel and pulled the fuse and battery as all neighbours were awake including my family) as both are installed by someone or a company for them and are under a support contract as I as a good neighbour have often looked after keys and been empowered with the contact number of the company in case of alarm problems and they have gone off but a reset fixed it.

That said I am aware that there is a wide spectrum of ability in all professions and I have no reason to doubt anyone unless I have personal contact and experience of such people and for sure I believe that advice given here is not wrong but surely for people like me to learn we can ask questions. I am not in competiton and only after advice for my own DIY install. I could simpy talk to Texecom support but I value experince and advice here.

That all said I'm not here to offend at all and I applogise if I have failed and my questions have caused offence.

I may contimue to ask questions in a cordial manner.

I assume the idiots refer to someone you know - this comment is not meant to propogate any adverse response as I wish to solicit further friendly advice as I go.

Kind Regards.

A very amiable response from you, you haven't offended me at all, though the same I cannot confirm for all, we are all learning-still-even us time served engineers-so ask away, one may get a 'curt' reply on occasion, though I'm sure it's not meant as a rebuke-more like a lol for obvious reasons.

There are some on here who feel that giving diy'ers help we are in fact doing ourselves out of potential income-this may be so, but tbh the percentage in the grand scheme of things is miniscule-and at the end of the day our experience puts us way ahead of Joe Bloggs, and Joe will always need us when things go pear shaped.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thanks - glad to know I've not offended.

Been busy doing some hard labour helping son wheelbarrow 6cu metres of concrete and only just recovering...

So kit is fitted bar wireless kit. So 5 pirs all new Texecom units across 4 zones, zone 2 has 2 series pirs wired EOL as advised above with resistors fitted to pir's as required.

Got a lead for Wintex and programmed them with that. According to Wintex all is fine and history resistances all same and ok. No faults recorded on keypad (once I found out 24-W board JP7 should not be in "commissioning mode" as supplied as this reports "EXP 1,1 Tamp" and no chance to clear fault via Engineer Menu as its not accessible via keypad when JP7 "commissioning mode" centre pin and left pin are connected. Pull jumper off JP7 and "EXP 1,1 Tamp" dissapears and no other faults.

So I take it so far so good?

Bar one issue I found just by chance as trying to sort wifi learning and testing......

ignoring wifi but if I select (tick box) via Wintex Zone part "Enable Remote Detector Test" and then via diagnostics Check Detectors out of the 4 zones 2 get Fail message and I've no idea why, all other info suggests all ok, resistances etc and looking in log I get no other clues. So is this just a softwared bug or ?

Back to learning  wireless.

24-W is version 2.0.12 and keypad LCDP LS1 V2.04. So I am told Ricochet MT2. I also have Wintex V6 build 29....I presume V6.29? Anyhow > V6.16 as required for MT2 I read.

I understand I must learn pirs via Engineer Menu on keypad as learning is not supported using Wintex.

So JP7 is off or connected middle pin to right pin so I can enter Engineering Menu on keypad. Once in menu I put JP7 jumper across left and middle pin to enable "commissioning mode" as required to be in this mode for learning.

I navigate menu as per manual  MT2 Addendum ADD068 page 5 and select Zone 009 and start learning as keypad gives me 30 seconds or so as it searches for pir that is put into learning mode by pressing learn button on pir and insert battery and some seconds later keypad cites message PIR XP-W01,01  and I continue to set up the Attribute 1 etc and eventually exit Engineer mode. I see the PIR led stay on solid and after I exit flickering quickly.

I understand I should leave this as is for 15 mins to establish good wifi coms then I can remove JP7 from middle left pins and put on middle right pins.

Done - no faults recorded on keypad.

Now to Wintex and Ricochet Monitor expecting to "see" Zone 009 indicating wireless pir in some way. I download Zones from 24-W to Wintex and expect to see all I set up in attributes etc via keypad appear here...no they don't? Also using diagnostics I seee no trace of wifi pir. No trace with Ricochet Monitor either?

Try again, and again each time via keypad deleting Zone 009 so its not used before learning again.

Eventually tried another wifi pir in case first is US.  Same...but (I must mention lid is off wifi pir and I leave it off so front anti tamper is triggered bit I guess this should not be an issue for training?) but with second pir I accidently pressed anti tamper and alarm triggers so it knows something is there. So I reset via keypad and via Wintex diagnostics "look for" pir....getting a bit fuzzy now as I tried so many things but I think I tried diagnostics and anyhow got message on keypad Zone 009 "Low battery". Checking batteries they are all 09/2012 or 06/2012. Are they too old and need replacing?

This is where I'm up to and had enough today so will have another try tomorrow maybe?

Many Thanks for any advice.

If batts are seriously that OOD before you've even started, I would question your supplier?

Or was it Mr Ebay? :(

A pro is a good suggestion but I'd be very reluctant to touch others unfinished work, esp. DIY. Even with a 'no warranty' disclaimer.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I can't remember Texecom specifically, but I thought they came with plastic tabs to stop the battery discharging and the batteries were a decent brand. There shouldn't be an issue, regardless of where you got it from.

Do you have a multimeter?

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

Hi Thanks for reply.

I'm a bit of a DIY nut for everything, car servicing, buiding extensions, gadget nut, wifi music, raspberry pi, writing software.....list goes on and I enjoy making things work or fixing them and this should be stright forward with correctly written instructions but for example no details at all regarding "commisionning mode" and how this affects Engineering access to keypad but I'm happy to learn for myself with help and clarification. Wireless solution for entry suits me fine else I'll return kit if its faulty and just go hard wired but I thought wireless and "mesh technology" would be perfect and reliable as many advised here.

So I agree I could call local Alarm company assuming they would now wish to be involved and take any responsibility or maybe charge me a days rate and tell me the kit is faulty? So I'll persevere, read instructions for learning wifi again and try it once again one step at a time.

Regarding the battery. I'm afraid maybe I did not explain correctly or maybe I misunderstand.

Kit is hard wired and all ok - no faults (bar Fault for 2 of 4 hard wired pirs even though resistances are fine - so I take it that all is actually fine) Walk tests etc all fine.

But when trying to add wifi pirs ....this is the issue and during Wintex testing I see Zone 009 Low Battery  so as Low battery never reported before trying to learn wifi then I am taking it the low battery refers to the battery in the wifi pir.

12V 7Ah battery is new, Yucel actually reading 13V.

Back to my main issue is clear instructions step by step for learning wifi pir. Last night I just thought of one point maybe I did wrong...after all learning, attributes etc for Zone 009 maybe I should use keypad down arrow to move to Zone 010 before I press Menu key many times and exit Engineer Mode. Maybe if I do not make move to Zone 010 then I do not leave programming of Zone 009 correctly and it is not "saved" ?

That all said am I right in thinking once done if I download zones into wintex then I should see Zone 009 all attributes etc as per programmed by keypad (I'd expect so) and as I do not then I think learning has failed....hence I think I cannot see the wifi device in Wintex nor Ricochet Monitor.

So my conclusion at the moment (may be wrong) is that the learning has not worked.......maybe because the wifi pir battery is low?

Thanks again for your valued advice.

Oh! got the kit from well known alarm supplier. Just google texecom and 2 suppliers mainly come up first "a" and "c"   I used "a". Not called them as I thought maybe just a supplier but I have called Texecom 3 times yesterday and 3 different people and different unclear advice but last chap was brilliant (should have got his name) as he mentioned "comissioning mode" JP7 and Engineer access method. Now have huge email to them and more to come questioining above first but some other qustions to come regarding details in manuals that are not clear....even some pages ref to another page and that page sends you back to the page you started on without further clarification......Minor niggle at the moment and not affecting current learning wifiu issue.

Just to be clear. Zone 009 has been set to Not Used and all wifi programming removed. Now kit back to my starting point standard install and no alarms at all reported on keypad so I take it all is working fine.

One last point. I've got the jumper on the 24-W board to disable tamper sitch so I can leave lid off for Wintex access.

Hope this helps with any questions.

Archived