Security Installer Community

Advice Please

uwave

To be honest; here is the thing though; taking this DIY lark to its logical conclusion...

The main power of an alarm (in this country) is the deterrent factor of a shiny bellbox that doesn't look like its from 1973.

(But of course, that is totally useless if billy burglar thinks 'what the hell, easy in, easy out', but it is a big part of the 'game'.

And that is where we as professionals should earn our keep. But that's not what this post is about...)

The shinier the bellbox and the more well known the box, the more billy burglar is put off though.

If you install a system like Yale, Billy knows he has seen this before. he might not have a clue who

Yale are, or even that it is DIY

If you do fit a Yale, and Billy sets it off, its usually OK because if billy doesn't panic and leg it...

1) It won't take much to silence it.

2) The minute he rips it off the wall, even if he doesn't silence it, the dialler will never dial anyone.

3) Everyone ignores a ringing bell (like I've done tonight whilst some local muppet presumably tinkers away every 5 minutes).

4) DIY John probably hasn't even covered all the entry points so it might not even get triggered

5) DIY John didn't even turn it on

6) The dialler stopped working last year anyway but it's never been tested since

Ergo, why bother fitting one at all?

If people don't want to have the work done properly, I think often times the GENUINE best advice to give them is to fit

a freely available dummy Yale lid for £15 and forget the rest of the system. No maint, no errors, no fitting probs!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

We were talking about risko. Wisdom is made by risko and I was sharing the misery risko freecom and risko wisdom. Don't think we get soo much gip off the agility 3 so maybe the white knight of the product range?

The Wisdom is now a very old product, so not advised in context if the thread or mentioned by me. No reason the knock the latest kit, i have 2 Agilities that i put in as temp systems to guard £15m of stock, no BS James will confirm the job but i won't mention site as litigation may take still take place against the original registered installer for the severe loss.

New ProSys 128 has now gone in using wired BUS (for Grade 3), passed to my 'tane' Gold, but the guards insisted on keeping the Agility's as a secondary backup in case of problems, mainly because it texts direct to the duty phones. If the guard is out on patrol they can go direct to an area of possible intrusion. These systems are tested at least every month, by management staging intrusions both to test the alarms and the staff response, as yet they have never defeated any of the three systems - even knowing their possible weak points, including hiding before the systems are armed or causing distractions outside the perimeters..

all that without a single un-explained false alarm, the kit has proved to be just phenomenally reliable from day one in my book.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

To be honest; here is the thing though; taking this DIY lark to its logical conclusion...

The main power of an alarm (in this country) is the deterrent factor of a shiny bellbox that doesn't look like its from 1973.

(But of course, that is totally useless if billy burglar thinks 'what the hell, easy in, easy out', but it is a big part of the 'game'.

And that is where we as professionals should earn our keep. But that's not what this post is about...)

The shinier the bellbox and the more well known the box, the more billy burglar is put off though....can I buy Yale sounder box only...I assume it works with any control box?

If you install a system like Yale, Billy knows he has seen this before. he might not have a clue who

Yale are, or even that it is DIY

If you do fit a Yale, and Billy sets it off, its usually OK because if billy doesn't panic and leg it...

1) It won't take much to silence it.

2) The minute he rips it off the wall, even if he doesn't silence it, the dialler will never dial anyone.....good point...so I fit gsm remotely...I assume soon as alarm triggered gsm dials even if alarm signal lost as box is destroyed?

3) Everyone ignores a ringing bell (like I've done tonight whilst some local muppet presumably tinkers away every 5 minutes).

4) DIY John probably hasn't even covered all the entry points so it might not even get triggered

5) DIY John didn't even turn it on

6) The dialler stopped working last year anyway but it's never been tested since.

Ergo, why bother fitting one at all?

If people don't want to have the work done properly, I think often times the GENUINE best advice to give them is to fit

a freely available dummy Yale lid for £15 and forget the rest of the system. No maint, no errors, no fitting probs!

Thanks ....dialler comment particularly.

ok - while I'm waiting I'm looking at Risco

Agility 3 seems to get some praise here. I'm not convinced everyone likes it as much as Texecom but I also get the impression is Texecom mesh is thought to be expensive overkill though I'm happy with the price and idea.

Back to Risco. Looking at their web site I see main contenders for me are Agility 3 or Lightsys 2 though at the moment I can only see Lightsys 2 offers Risco Bus over and above the wired or wifi that the Agility offers. That said I guess the Risco Bus is a hard wired network using cat5 or something? If that is the case the Agility would do for me.

I read the Agility offers wireless remote keypad for arm/disarm either via keying in a code or a keyfob......is this correct?

Does Agility also offer keyfob that can be used outside the house?

I like the eyewave and cloud idea and iphone app.....I presume the control box is connected (hardwired cat 5) to my network and accesses cloud and this cloud is what the iphone app connects to?

gsm again I take it is an option to buy and connect?

Now I wonder how much this would be?

First negative for Rosco for me is I cannot find retailer who sells the kit - is it only released to authorised installers and not available for public purchase?

A few manufacturers do things that way. You can see from our point of view not selling it to joe public is a selling point to us?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

ok I see your point. 

I was thinking I might consider Risco but I guess back to Texecom for me then!

Hopefully I can get clarification to my earlier post else I guess I call Texecom so I can finally nail my list to buy.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice.

If I was fitting a wireless alarm, I would fit Texecom. I quite like the Pyronix gear - it seems to work, but Texecom has got Ricochet in alarms that cost the same as Pyronix gear. The Texecom stuff appears to have a more coherent, neat and tidy design though, I suspect it will last longer as a result.

I've been really impressed with Ricochet. It really seems to work. Extends range, pretty immune to noise, detects jamming well.

On the note of firmware upgrades on Risco, anyone got any hints on what documentation would discuss this auto-update? Sounds like a lovely entry point for a vulnerability.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

As above, Risco is trade only, but is sold via RS components, not sure these days you need a trade account.

Your problem would be tech support engineer side, as that is only offered to registered account holders.

Tbh what ever kit you eventually use, try to get a manual first, read and see if you can understand most of it's basics .

Even cheapy sparky panels will have features you likely won't ever use or understand without any prior experience.

Don't 't be overly swayed by the go flashy faster stripe abilities, end of fhe day i could instal an effective system based on 70 year or older tech, which in its time protected very effectively very high value sites (but due labour eliment and my rates, would be far more exspensive ;) ).

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived