Security Installer Community

Advice Please

uwave

Hi, I'm wishing to replace my existing wired system and would like advice as to which system to buy for DIY install though I am fine with tech/programming/computers/plc's etc but never looked at alarms for 25 years - mines just packed in!

I intend to replace all wired pir's and add a few more.

At the moment my control unit is a key operated one but I'd like to replace with either remote keypad (but no ability to run in any cable so it must be wireless) or wireless keyfobs (4 off). Currently I have 2 zones but wish to add another.

I'm happy to add wired extra pir's or use wireless as you advise. I'd like to add garage door, ideally wireless switch sensor rather than wireless pir.

It would be perfect if the control panel had dial out or txt ability - can you get them with sim ability for mobile connection? or DECT? Wired is ok too.

email could be an option but I prefer phone call and txt ideally.

I'd like pir's /wireless switches to be 2 way coms as I read this increases battery life as they sleep when not in use.

I like what I read in that many alarms today log events.

That said what do you advise?

I read about Honeywell Vista 20p but I see this is not for UK - why?

No real preference for any make but I'd like some recommendations and maybe some things to consider for future proofing....camera's IP connection...?

Most important is reliability and spares and decent kit.

Many Thanks for the advice.

Texecom ricochet would tick all your boxes and be very useful in terms of reliability as it does things different to their competitors in the way the radio works. You could connect an IP communicator to a monitoring station for low money which would give you very reliable alarm notifications for a small monthly fee.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Hi, I'm wishing to replace my existing wired system and would like advice as to which system to buy for DIY install though I am fine with tech/programming/computers/plc's etc but never looked at alarms for 25 years - mines just packed in!

I intend to replace all wired pir's and add a few more.

At the moment my control unit is a key operated one but I'd like to replace with either remote keypad (but no ability to run in any cable so it must be wireless) or wireless keyfobs (4 off). Currently I have 2 zones but wish to add another.

I'm happy to add wired extra pir's or use wireless as you advise. I'd like to add garage door, ideally wireless switch sensor rather than wireless pir.

>>> Yes no problem, most wireless contacts have auxiliary terminals for things like chunky garage door contacts

It would be perfect if the control panel had dial out or txt ability - can you get them with sim ability for mobile connection? or DECT? Wired is ok too.

email could be an option but I prefer phone call and txt ideally.

>>> Phone call won't give you much detail about the actual event. And won't be able to tell you if the line is cut. Text from onboard GSM is usually dearer than monitoring.

I'd like pir's /wireless switches to be 2 way coms as I read this increases battery life as they sleep when not in use.

>>> 2 way is best but tbh even 1 way like Scantronic the batteries last for years now, not months.

I like what I read in that many alarms today log events.

>>> Since about 1980s :)

That said what do you advise?

I read about Honeywell Vista 20p but I see this is not for UK - why?

>> Just because!

No real preference for any make but I'd like some recommendations and maybe some things to consider for future proofing....camera's IP connection...?

Most important is reliability and spares and decent kit.

Many Thanks for the advice.

>> See above post!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

^^ really good product compared to what? Maybe its a notch up from a b&q special but as Texecom now have their kit at enforcer money you get a ton of functionality on the premier that an enforcer can only dream of. This backed up with the only mesh radio system makes it a very good contender. We don't install Texecom generically but we are about to do a domestic package and evaluated both products and Texecom for quality wins hands down.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

^^ really good product compared to what? Maybe its a notch up from a b&q special but as Texecom now have their kit at enforcer money you get a ton of functionality on the premier that an enforcer can only dream of. This backed up with the only mesh radio system makes it a very good contender. We don't install Texecom generically but we are about to do a domestic package and evaluated both products and Texecom for quality wins hands down.

100% agree texe is worlds apart from ALL wireless stuff

30 years of experience, ssaib approved family business.

We have a very long list of clients that we are very proud chose to use us. We have never bought out any other company or forced anyone to use us. All of our customers are free to leave us whenever they wish, yet very few ever have. This is down to the fact that we always put our best into every job.

http://alarmguard.co.uk

Thanks busy looking at Texecom web site and some pdf's to read and so far I like what I see.

Couple of quick questions:

I assume remote keypad is wireless coms to main box?

Only thinking of sim unit so it can call a local friend if I'm away...else it calls me when I'm out...I assume I can change who to call/txt as I wish...maybe I need some programming app/lead or via IP?

Lastly at the moment.....I assume I do not need to pay for monthly support/monitoring as its not normally something I'd consider ....that said depends on what it is....I need to have a good look at Texecom web site.

Oh!  I assume its not an issue but I have Sonos and wifi......I guess Texecom wireless can live along side this!

I'm sure I'll have some more questions later.

Thanks again.

Thanks busy looking at Texecom web site and some pdf's to read and so far I like what I see.

Couple of quick questions:

I assume remote keypad is wireless coms to main box?

>>> No its 100% traditional wired.

Only thinking of sim unit so it can call a local friend if I'm away...else it calls me when I'm out...I assume I can change who to call/txt as I wish...maybe I need some programming app/lead or via IP?

>>> Assume if its like any other manf's GSM unit you are looking at about £250+

Lastly at the moment.....I assume I do not need to pay for monthly support/monitoring as its not normally something I'd consider ....that said depends on what it is....I need to have a good look at Texecom web site.

>>> Any monitoring will not be provided by Texecom

Oh!  I assume its not an issue but I have Sonos and wifi......I guess Texecom wireless can live along side this!

>>> Totally different frequency

I'm sure I'll have some more questions later.

Thanks again.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Hmm! Remote keypad wired! Its gonna be a big problem running in any wires. In fact might as well ignore remote keypad and just have keyswitch/keypad on control unit if I need to run a wire in. I was hoping to have wireless keypad or wireless keyfob so it could be armed outside monitored area...or wifi app and I use iphone/android on secure wifi and control box is ip hardwired to my network - i I guess it also needs option B with keyswitch or keypad in case wifi down.

Any options?

Archived