Security Installer Community

Cat 5 Question

macky872

We have loads of jobs with short runs, up to 50m with the power and video on the same cat. No problems at all here.

Stopped using shotgun about 4 years ago, cat5 only since then.

Same here unless there's any real need for a bit of hefty cable.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

You should only use 1 twisted pair for each video signal, sounds like you may have used 1 pair for + and 1 pair for -, it must be a single twisted pair

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

You should only use 1 twisted pair for each video signal, sounds like you may have used 1 pair for + and 1 pair for -, it must be a single twisted pair

Agreed :)

We have sent 4 video feeds down 1 cat5 over 200m without problems.

Yep, use only 1 pair for camera signals, as any additional cores can introduce problems. We've quite happily piped 2 cameras using individual pairs of a Cat5 cable down 430 meters using active baluns.. no probs. (just use good kit)

Longest Cat5 video balun run for me is 870m on a pair of NVT baluns wirh a single pair, outstanding picture with no issues at all.

To top it off, it's running parallel about 20mtrs from a 33kva high speed line at a train station

Used cat5 for years now, there is no issues at all with running 12v down it whatsoever, up to 50mtr is easily achievable

Where on earth did you get the idea it's not suitable for power from ??

personally prefer shotgun on under 200m run., but each to their own, will work on cat 5 over much greater distances.

As for this debate about power down cat5.

We have done several calls to another co's work where they have volts drop on the cam end when IR is on, just under 100meters, tripled up on cores. we just installed another cat5 alongside....... Would have been easier to use shotgun to start with.

But yeah we have a cat5 that runs down a mine shaft and underground and back up another mine shaft (tin mine) approx 1 mile. But it's powered locally ofc.

30 years of experience, ssaib approved family business.

We have a very long list of clients that we are very proud chose to use us. We have never bought out any other company or forced anyone to use us. All of our customers are free to leave us whenever they wish, yet very few ever have. This is down to the fact that we always put our best into every job.

http://alarmguard.co.uk

Cheap baluns will do a **** job, i have witnessed the difference many times, use one twisted pair+good baluns and you should be fine.

Installed well away from mains?

Cheap psu can also be an issue, power cams on battery to see if there is much difference.

Archived