Security Installer Community

How To Test Intruder Alarm

Crussell87

Does the battery have to be fully charged for this reading?

as long as the battery is not heavily discharged or shorting internally, it will have no real effect other than to smooth 12 volt rail ripple (new panel this should not be a problem). tbh if not sure especially if older battery to best disconnect it for this test.

you should also test the charging volts from the panel ideally (for most makes) @13.65, again do this with battery disconnected as a low battery will draw down the voltage reading affecting accuracy, as having it in circuit will not give you the maximum charging voltage the panel psu is capable of delivering, and it may actually be over the recommended voltage when charging, leading to earlier failure of battery.

personally if bellow 13.3 i consider as under charging will occur, making the battery less capable of its true standby time potential, over 13.8 overcharging and heating up of the battery will occur, reducing its expected service life 3 - 5 years considerably.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

as long as the battery is not heavily discharged or shorting internally, it will have no real effect other than to smooth 12 volt rail ripple (new panel this should not be a problem). tbh if not sure especially if older battery to best disconnect it for this test.

I haven't particularly followed the rest of this thread, and have no idea if other panels do this too, but the PSU output of the 9651 has been seen by me producing a rather nasty 1Hz momentary spike if run with the battery disconnected. This can be heard a mile off if you're using Pyronix Twin Alerts as I used to (but no longer... just like the 9651)

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

not into that panel, wonder if it is to do with controls internal battery testing?

i remember the 9100 and iirc the 9800 internal speaker used to click with the ewb strobe operated in alarm

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Just do what Aunty do at a School I am in the process of taking over,

Stand by keypad for 25 mins, sign off job sheet, go to next.

Only about 64 zones.

No tampers on SAB, Redcare Rio.

That is to start with. Not looked any deeper yet...................

£650 PA for maint.

W anthings

Oh yeah, they cannot work out how to interface the fire alarm module into the mag locks.

Cannot get a handset to work on the system (Videx).

Going to  be so sweet taking this one away and sorting it out. The premises manager loves us to bits anyway.

Now to really impress.

Just do what Aunty do at a School I am in the process of taking over,

Stand by keypad for 25 mins, sign off job sheet, go to next.

Only about 64 zones.

No tampers on SAB, Redcare Rio.

That is to start with. Not looked any deeper yet...................

There's a gold in Staffordshire who do the same. Council contracts. Battery checks and replacements? Don't be silly.

Archived