Security Installer Community

Act Meters Ltd - 3.6V Lithium Battery Tester (Pir)?

ACTMetersLtd

I don't get the point of testing a 3.6V battery, unless it enables you to ensure the battery is going to last another entire service interval. I don't think testing of 3.6V lithium chemistry batteries is at a state where you could say this.

I've not seen a dud lithium out of the box that has shown good voltage, so no need for an on-load test.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

I don't get the point of testing a 3.6V battery, unless it enables you to ensure the battery is going to last another entire service interval. I don't think testing of 3.6V lithium chemistry batteries is at a state where you could say this.

I've not seen a dud lithium out of the box that has shown good voltage, so no need for an on-load test.

You show more experience than some who claim to have it.

You do get an odd dead or below parr one, Risco suggest batts 3 - 5 years, depending on traffic.i have had some in longer than that where systems changed hands, example a new home owner don't contact me for a maintenance. Other times a shock sensor kills a battery in 6 - 8 weeks after all new batts fitted throughout on a system thats been in 2 years.

So, if you go back a year after instal, do you load test the batteries on a tester which will shorten their life, or volt test, or better but which is bit harder to do accurately while the unit is transmitting?

Add the above to a capability of 30 + devices, if you charge just £5 each battery, thats a fair whack to pass on, or absorb at trade costs.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Many thanks for your comments, we've had some interesting feedback already on the 3.6V - all appreciated. Re: price increase, we're going to have a regular sale, last week of every month. Great to hear comments on the original GOLD IBT too...

Hmm do these battery testers use a discharge test like they do with the normal battery testers? Arf I dont think its a good idea to discharge test a new battery its like using secondhand batteries on a new install. I agree with all the others replace batteries regardless every 1-2 years

You show more experience than some who claim to have it.

You do get an odd dead or below parr one, Risco suggest batts 3 - 5 years, depending on traffic.i have had some in longer than that where systems changed hands, example a new home owner don't contact me for a maintenance. Other times a shock sensor kills a battery in 6 - 8 weeks after all new batts fitted throughout on a system thats been in 2 years.

So, if you go back a year after instal, do you load test the batteries on a tester which will shorten their life, or volt test, or better but which is bit harder to do accurately while the unit is transmitting?

Add the above to a capability of 30 + devices, if you charge just £5 each battery, thats a fair whack to pass on, or absorb at trade costs.

Hmm do these battery testers use a discharge test like they do with the normal battery testers? Arf I dont think its a good idea to discharge test a new battery its like using secondhand batteries on a new install. I agree with all the others replace batteries regardless every 1-2 years

just mpov Peter. agreed on the 2 year thing, it's a calculated risk in a way, if you accept the strongest a battery will ever be is when removed from it's sealed cellophane bag, means in a way it's the best time to test it (if at all) on a new install especially. get a box of fresh batteries one or two can be duff from the off in varying degrees, and you might not be able to get in that bedroom next visit due to baby sleeping and so on.

your never sure how long they have been on a shelf, or if affected by poor storage practices (even the van's environment when we do have a decent summer).

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived