Security Installer Community

Working Hours And Rest Time

abbz

If for instance you got a call at 6am and had to attend would you then go back home to bed for 8 hours ?

That was a point raised at consultation meetings. We're on call from 17:00 till 08:30. If a call came in at 6am and needed attending I would get up and throw clothes on and go. I will not have my morning shower and not have my breakfast. Would you find it reasonable to attend customers premises for rest of the day not being washed ? Again management wanted us to stay at work till 3pm in that scenario but that was quickly thrown out.

TBH honest it's hard for everyone I reckon,employees trying to do their best, employers maybe having to juggle because they can't employ enough staff to cover eventualities, times are hard, you can't over-employ just in case someones off sick etc, it basically boils down to good relations within your company, and that is nurtured through give and take on both parts.

Time off if working late or long hours, a simple gesture sometimes shows how much you are appreciated and not taken for granted just because you're employed, you'll get much more benefit-mutually-that way, I'm not stupid, if I'm tired I'm tired-and as thus won't be able to give my full attention, most employers aren't stupid either.

Just before I get accused of encouraging slavery I wouldn't routinely want someone working a day shift, doing some call and another day shift for all the reasons you outline. What I do expect is when things go wrong for them to muck in and do what is needed. In the stats when engineers have worked long weeks I've paid for them to have the weekend away to relax. I'm not all bad!

your better to think BEFORE routinely, otherwise that outine becomes an indigenous in the thinking if your staff

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

If for instance you got a call at 6am and had to attend would you then go back home to bed for 8 hours ?

I'm sure some would try . . .

TBH honest it's hard for everyone I reckon,employees trying to do their best, employers maybe having to juggle because they can't employ enough staff to cover eventualities, times are hard, you can't over-employ just in case someones off sick etc, it basically boils down to good relations within your company, and that is nurtured through give and take on both parts.Time off if working late or long hours, a simple gesture sometimes shows how much you are appreciated and not taken for granted just because you're employed, you'll get much more benefit-mutually-that way, I'm not stupid, if I'm tired I'm tired-and as thus won't be able to give my full attention, most employers aren't stupid either.

I think you have a pretty accurate view

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

If you don't like the terms of your employment, unemployment is always an option.

How would a union assist a new employee with the new rules where you can get shut of someone in their first couple of years of employment?

easy,theres employment laws to prorect against the not so supportive employer shall we say,which ONE of your arcs has had problems,i thought you,only had one arc op,that lad must be busy...hope he gets decent rest inbetween arcs..

I've had calls at 4 am before gone out, came home done some paper work or watched some tele. Had a shower and brekkie gone to work.

Don't see hy being up at 6 would change that, it's 4 hour response isn't it? If you feel you need to shower first then do so.

Matt, i really hope you will never know how it will feel to attending an engineers funeral, looking his partner in the eye, or his kids,or attending an inquest due to your employee falling asleep at the wheel.i hope you never experience an alarm that did not activate - installed by your exhausted engineer.i hope your engineers never discover the utter contempt with which you seem to hold, devoid of any value for them.but i really really hope you will realise before any of the above becomes a reality.

I'm not sure this is really an issue these days. I don't know of any alarm co that are trying to repeat the days of old.

We've taken the human element out of a lot of programming hence why fail to operate isn't really an issue.

The engineers I dislike, know full well I dislike them and why and the ones I love equally know I love them and the reasons why.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Im assuming it means having 8 hours undisturbed by work in a 24hr period?

As it simply wouldent work with on call

It's 8 hours lay off time from time you get back home from callout.

Just before I get accused of encouraging slavery I wouldn't routinely want someone working a day shift, doing some call and another day shift for all the reasons you outline. What I do expect is when things go wrong for them to muck in and do what is needed. In the stats when engineers have worked long weeks I've paid for them to have the weekend away to relax. I'm not all bad!

so you say,theres no proof,even allen is a figment of your over worked imagination

Archived