Security Installer Community

Working Hours And Rest Time

abbz

We've just gone from the change of being on nights for a week to doing it on a daily basis ( week in 6 to a day in 6 now ). We had to fight with management about lay off time. The work directive clearly states 8 hours lay off time from getting back home. For all the engineers out there who don't take the lay off time and play the "hero" were you to have an accident the following day YOU will be liable as YOU were in an unfit state to drive. Health and safety will also be over your company like a bad rash. Personally I have a family and mortgage to look after and there's no way I will put MYSELF at risk. An engineer can be replaced .... Life can't

• 2 weeks later...

agree with abbz,you are entitled to 11 hours rest between shifts,but your not always entitled to be paid for them,theres plenty of co's who dont even offer rest time never mind pay it,driving when tired is as bad as drink driving add the fact your putting yourself in danger too when working while tired,employers and employees need to be sensible on this issue or both will end up in the dock should the worst happen..

Go on then.

Tell me how a small company is going to facilitate this in the real world?

Forget shift work for the time being, take call out.

You work until say 2300 hrs then get a call at 0340, get back at 0455 cannot sleep and go to work at 0830. Job prebooked for weeks.

What would YOU do?

Go on then.

Tell me how a small company is going to facilitate this in the real world?

Forget shift work for the time being, take call out.

You work until say 2300 hrs then get a call at 0340, get back at 0455 cannot sleep and go to work at 0830. Job prebooked for weeks.

What would YOU do?

have someone else do the call simple as,i work on the rule if im on call i may not be available for 8.30 the next day. if at all depending how busy the shift was..

You work on the rule ehh....................

Come work for us, see how long you last with your particular views on things,

You`ll be in the job centre faster than a blink of an eye.

You`ll be in the job centre faster than a blink of an eye.

see ox thats where me and you differ,i wouldnt put up with that sort of threat for bringing up h&s issues or any other issues really,id be really suprised if the co you worked for acted like that tbh,

see ox thats where me and you differ,i wouldnt put up with that sort of threat for bringing up h&s issues or any other issues really,id be really suprised if the co you worked for acted like that tbh,

That does surprise me . . .

With ox on this one

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Other nightm had a call at1030

1hr drive to site

2 hours onsite

1 hr drive back

Back at work on a job 1hr away for 9

I felt safe driving, and wasn't particularly tired until the around 1800

doesnt surprise me..a lot of profit before people going on in the world..

You being the customer champion I thought you'd be of the view engineer must do anything to keep customer happy. Eg be there.

On the dole you can have as much rest time as you want. No risk of any tiredness then.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived