Security Installer Community

Working Hours And Rest Time

abbz

Well lets hope none of you "hero's" ever fall asleep at the wheel and kill an innocent member of the public just because you work for a small company. Yes I would rather be on the dole then be locked up on a murder charge. I'm sure everyone has seen the roadside signs tiredness can kill .. Take a break !

Never felt that tired driving at work.

I have personally in my own car, driving back from airport after flight (wont make that mistake again) very easy to want to shut your eyes.

If your that tired then its an entirely different scenario imo.

Everyone feels tired from time to time.

What you are describing is someone who is knackred

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well lets hope none of you "hero's" ever fall asleep at the wheel and kill an innocent member of the public just because you work for a small company. Yes I would rather be on the dole then be locked up on a murder charge. I'm sure everyone has seen the roadside signs tiredness can kill .. Take a break !

i hope you never drive tired at a weekend then or due to other reasons than work. 

take it you don't have kids then?

what happens if you have a hard day at work, then go shopping or out with the wife, get home at 9 go to bed and get woken up at 1am im guessing if you didnt get in until 10 and sleep until 11 you would be TIRED and DRIVE TIRED!

hope you never break the speed limit even for a second! 

IMO life is about calculated risks, if i was out all night i probally wouldnt be at work at 9 but as the other night i was out from 1030 until 2 and still went to work for a booked domestic appointment at 9am.

I remember taking a contract on. 21 sites all to be installed with CCTV and guards will be of site at said time then you take over.

We had 2 engineers plus myself. Worked all day plus I took on call.. and my daughter was just born.

After 8 months of everything going on I was ready to collapse in a heap.

Fitting the sites plus intruder then the guard response, I was getting around 8 calls a night plus the wee lass up wanting fed and greeting etc.

The wife used to call me zombie!

Just get back in bed on a call and then the wee one was greeting, then it's an intruder install at 8am.

Then calm, I went on holiday for the first time in 4 years...... Then alarm protection chuky wee boy arrived lol!!

It's all calmed down now and no more children thank god.

That sounds way to much mate!

Lucky your still here!

agree,tho some poor souls seem frightened to do anything else for fear of losing their job,the would you like to be on the dole seems a favourite saying,if anyone has that threat hanging over them please do something about it,protect yourselves and others..

http://www.unitetheunion.org/

the other night i was out from 1030 until 2 and still went to work for a booked domestic appointment at 9am.

again bad planning, morning calls should be booked around call out, not the other way round imo.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Yes lwillis ... I do have kids. Having kids make you look at life in a total different aspect. Your comment on speeding sums it up really. You get caught you get fined. Within a few miles your be speeding again. Fall asleep at the wheel ... You won't have the chance to do that again. And to your question have I ever drove tired the answer is no. Why would anyone be do stupid and irresponsible to

When working on the void property security I could fit 2 houses in Glasgow on the Wednesday and end up driving back up from Bradford on the Friday! Slept in the van or in depot overnight but I was 19 and didn't care as the money was good for my age at the time.

Thinking back I should have said ram it tbh! They were the young free days that you just didn't really care but you have to think about the family etc when you get older.

!

I would have also thought that by now your employee on here would have at least had their say one way or another Matt.

He will be tomorrow. At present he is at home with his mrs and hasn't been working since 3pm on Friday. See what a nasty employer I am.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

When working on the void property security I could fit 2 houses in Glasgow on the Wednesday and end up driving back up from Bradford on the Friday! Slept in the van or in depot overnight but I was 19 and didn't care as the money was good for my age at the time.

Thinking back I should have said ram it tbh! They were the young free days that you just didn't really care but you have to think about the family etc when you get older.

weve all done it in the past,working ghosters,doing too many jobs on call and pushing it,show me a service eng who hasnt nodded off at the wheel even for a split second and i'll show you a liar..different days now h&s is king and must be followed..

See, that just seems like bad planning in my book...You really do need to get out more.

I didn't plan it this way but one of our arcs suffered 2 major power outages so had to deal with that hence the very late delay and traffic on the m6 has delayed my arrival further. Be interesting if I quoted sleep in time when we have arc related issues and just left outages for a few hours whilst I got some sleep.

again bad planning, morning calls should be booked around call out, not the other way round imo.

If that was the case, I'd never have any morning calls booked. But if the customer Wants 9am because he's taking time off work or is busy, you'd tell him to shove it would you?

I work for a small company and do call one week in four. I also have a four year old and a 17 week old.

I have never laid in due to a call night, but quite often would have liked to.. but once 0730 comes around there is no way I am getting any more sleep in my house anyway!

agree,tho some poor souls seem frightened to do anything else for fear of losing their job,the would you like to be on the dole seems a favourite saying,if anyone has that threat hanging over them please do something about it,protect yourselves and others..http://www.unitetheunion.org/

If you don't like the terms of your employment, unemployment is always an option.

How would a union assist a new employee with the new rules where you can get shut of someone in their first couple of years of employment?

i've worked under such tyrannical conditions, especially as a keen young engineer you think you are the bee's knee's doing it, anyone refusing is a pussy, i thought those Dickensian days and attitudes had long gone tbh.

no company today, large or small should intimidate or even infer disapproval for any driver to work while tired or ill, especially if in the service if his 'responsible' company.

appointments made for anyone on night duty should ideally be avoided for early timings, the client might insist so detail another engineer, but should informed the booking may be put back or altered due to unforeseeable sporadic pressure on your service department, as a responsible company who respect both our clients and engineers, 'we do not risk lives of our staff or other road users lives, because it's simply the nature if the business.

as one who run's his own small company, those i have employed in the past i have invested a lot of time and effort in. if my engineer/s worked during the night i'd hope i'd made it clear i fully appreciated his efforts on my behalf, and in him in particular. not ask or badger him to do more. I want that guy/s sharp as tacks when working for me, i don't need mistakes, oversights let alone funeral attendances.

just what is so hard about that, and just how stupid and out of date can anyone be to think otherwise?

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

weve all done it in the past,working ghosters,doing too many jobs on call and pushing it,show me a service eng who hasnt nodded off at the wheel even for a split second and i'll show you a liar..different days now h&s is king and must be followed..

Just before I get accused of encouraging slavery I wouldn't routinely want someone working a day shift, doing some call and another day shift for all the reasons you outline. What I do expect is when things go wrong for them to muck in and do what is needed. In the stats when engineers have worked long weeks I've paid for them to have the weekend away to relax. I'm not all bad!

Stop being a pussy, you've had all day off :yes: As for your last comment that just smacks of being a bully (thus reaffirming the opinions of some).

All day off, I wish. I've had the weekend from hell actually. Power problems, replication problems, server sulking because it is weekend problems. I'm not a bully, and there are defiantly 2 camps in 4i towers. I've been taken for a mug by too many employees and they are on tight reign which is where you see my blunt responses. There is the other camp of guys who work hard and muck in and don't quote stupid rules to me and we get along fine and they are very well rewarded.

I've no issue (he might) on quizzing Allen on what like working for me is like. No holes barred. For those that play the game we are a wonderful company to work for. Want to take the piss, screw up and quote rules to me, then maybe not.

If you don't like the terms of your employment, unemployment is always an option.

How would a union assist a new employee with the new rules where you can get shut of someone in their first couple of years of employment?

Matt, i really hope you will never know how it will feel to attending an engineers funeral, looking his partner in the eye, or his kids,

or attending an inquest due to your employee falling asleep at the wheel.

i hope you never experience an alarm that did not activate - installed by your exhausted engineer.

i hope your engineers never discover the utter contempt with which you seem to hold, devoid of any value for them.

but i really really hope you will realise before any of the above becomes a reality.

If for instance you got a call at 6am and had to attend would you then go back home to bed for 8 hours ?

That was a point raised at consultation meetings. We're on call from 17:00 till 08:30. If a call came in at 6am and needed attending I would get up and throw clothes on and go. I will not have my morning shower and not have my breakfast. Would you find it reasonable to attend customers premises for rest of the day not being washed ? Again management wanted us to stay at work till 3pm in that scenario but that was quickly thrown out.

TBH honest it's hard for everyone I reckon,employees trying to do their best, employers maybe having to juggle because they can't employ enough staff to cover eventualities, times are hard, you can't over-employ just in case someones off sick etc, it basically boils down to good relations within your company, and that is nurtured through give and take on both parts.

Time off if working late or long hours, a simple gesture sometimes shows how much you are appreciated and not taken for granted just because you're employed, you'll get much more benefit-mutually-that way, I'm not stupid, if I'm tired I'm tired-and as thus won't be able to give my full attention, most employers aren't stupid either.

Just before I get accused of encouraging slavery I wouldn't routinely want someone working a day shift, doing some call and another day shift for all the reasons you outline. What I do expect is when things go wrong for them to muck in and do what is needed. In the stats when engineers have worked long weeks I've paid for them to have the weekend away to relax. I'm not all bad!

your better to think BEFORE routinely, otherwise that outine becomes an indigenous in the thinking if your staff

If for instance you got a call at 6am and had to attend would you then go back home to bed for 8 hours ?

I'm sure some would try . . .

TBH honest it's hard for everyone I reckon,employees trying to do their best, employers maybe having to juggle because they can't employ enough staff to cover eventualities, times are hard, you can't over-employ just in case someones off sick etc, it basically boils down to good relations within your company, and that is nurtured through give and take on both parts.Time off if working late or long hours, a simple gesture sometimes shows how much you are appreciated and not taken for granted just because you're employed, you'll get much more benefit-mutually-that way, I'm not stupid, if I'm tired I'm tired-and as thus won't be able to give my full attention, most employers aren't stupid either.

I think you have a pretty accurate view

Archived