Security Installer Community

Ifsec 2013

ill start by saying it seems its a dying show, its been getting smaller and less relevant to me at least. Mostly I go because its local to me (wont be going to London) and to say hello to people.

I did see some interesting stuff though.

Honeywell had the axs with usb attached storage for cctv images without a server.

webway had the 3g stuff with cctv alarms linked to panel data

saw a few home automation bits that interested me and some had higher end bms options.

spent a bit of time in the korea area with a secware interest, fortunately simon was with us as I was out my depth on the language bit.

Bosch had a 'starlight' camera which imo was just any old camera with a long shutter time but marketed well

Siemans wernt there which was a shame as I like a lot of their portfolio but prices arnt realistic

went to the utc stand with matt and was amazed that lenel is a going concern. Didn't get the whole ats thing either. Technically its superb. Would I buy one. No.

Comelit's HA stuff showed promise but fell over cos it uses its own protocol.

Samsungs stand wasn't as impressive as last year. I dunno what they had cos imo they cant make anything well so only walked past.

Discovered Panasonic make fire panels and detectors. Or at least badge but still.

Firex was tiny

So to sum up, imo ifsec is doing a securex. I think the move to London is the final chapter. It started there iirc and moved to the nec due to the size required. It used to be 5 halls again iirc and it was this way 2 and a bit.

I did learn today that ifsec as it is will be going to excel and be in june? I think. But during current ifsec week some 'live' event will be at the nec for 3 days of what we know as ifsec week. I don't know which will work better but id say the nec is a better venue than excel but time will tell.

What did you see if you went at all?

If you did what were your highlights?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Just home from Ifsec and found it a bit of a let down tbh. We went to try and secure a fire alarm product spoke to three different people who told us they would not do business as they were not taking anymore NI accounts!!

Was good to see the guys at WW1 as we are about to take our 1st national contract.

I thought CSL may have solutions to my problems but no.

Very quite today compared to yesterday

Crawler LOL!

I was there on Tuesday, TBH I really enjoyed it for a change. felt a bit like a 9 year old in Hamleys. usually its not more than 2 hours and i'm  looking to get out again, and I mean looking - freaking stupid paper map :(.

Perhaps because this time I had targets to hunt about for, but felt it was a very vibrant atmosphere, attendance I think in general was low but that meant you good chat on more stands that are usually rammed.

1st stand was Paxton as I was looking for a kit video door entry using same fob to get into 6 flats, they had a VR NET2 Digital Front Panel in stainless for £300.00 during IFSEC, or get it into a kit including monitor, NAT2 for £600.00 just add 5 more monitors and wireless unit, use their battery operated radio linked door lock controllers very smooth option. add in remote access, having no on site manning, this going to be a sweet (or should that be suite? ;) ) solution.

Allied to above the current job has Paxton installed but they have had real issues, I did not install and I don't look after it, but it affects me as its interlinked with the alarms to lock Area doors when set, so as I need several connections/program changes as you do. the engineer chats to me about having big problems with software updates, then realising some of the nodes were older versions. it has been a very fraught time for the external IT companies engineer looking after it, and they might be glad to be rid access not really being there bag..

Not usually being in large access control installations, I was not aware Risco SynOpsys could interface with Paxton Readers using a ProSys 128 (which I have already installed on site). a few bumps to sort out, but it will be investigated as an option, maybe changing the nodes, but retain all the investment in existing readers and cards etc. but need to chat further as by the time I hit their stand I was about already done in.

The site is also looking to upgrade their perimeter beams at some point, the clowns that installed it did not fit heaters or run thick enough cables to be able to so a pretty major job to retrofit. 

One stand had what amounts to old fashioned CC wiring, Bare wires strung over 3 meters supports spaced at about 5", short adjacent wires gives alarms (I allowed the guy to explain that new tech to me lol!) but the kicker, like cattle fences it carries a 12k shock if touched. 

The site have problems with some continental drivers bad toilet manners, a toilet is supplied for their use, but some like to empty their buckets, urinate and defecate around the perimeter fences, if this kit is ever installed - keep an eye out on You Tube ;)

I had a partial motive, for what ever reason as I had refused to install it, I've been asked to help oversee on the Gatwick site Fire Alarm installation, this Client is ultra sensitive about aesthetics and I know it is likely a 'device' to have me on-site as another critical pair of eye's. 

So, having a bit of spare time i caroused the Fire Alarm Stands and spotting several of the wireless kits. Some were showing really nicely designed panels and repeaters visually easily acceptable on show in these offices or even upper market smart private dwellings/blocks etc.

C&K were showing colour matched detectors, and of offer to match any colour if you give the ref number, or even have effects like marbling to blend in, so something for the client to consider. I thought it would be an idea for intruder detectors to have - especially Risco LUNAR Industrials and watch-ins, what about internal cameras and graded buildings etc.?

anyway, if you want a Paxton Stainless digital front panel video kit that has keypad and prox built in, you can get it direct from PAxton for £600.00 + VAT and postage but only this week - so hurry.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Lol right

Seriously though my only real purpose to visit IFSEC was to see 4 companies new toys and to catch up with people that I don't get to see so often.

Sadly I think it's days are numbered.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived