Security Installer Community

Ground Loop Isolators - Cure Or Cover Up?

timmo66

IP wiring structure has a little more to it than throw wires everywhere and pinching pairs.

Ideally it should be a Cat5e per camera but POE switches can be used in locations.

More than 100m sections will be a potential issue as will power source locations.

Yes runs are in excess of 100 metres

How far over?

90-100M is the recommended without signal boost but depending on quality of cable install, quality of cable, local interference etc you may get away with it, no guarantees though.

We have used dynamic passive baluns for well over 200m on one site without any problems at all, with 4 cameras on one cat5 and a location 24v PSU to the cameras.

We have used dynamic passive baluns for well over 200m on one site without any problems at all, with 4 cameras on one cat5 and a location 24v PSU to the cameras.

The OP was asking about if the site was updated to IP cameras.

Passive baluns could get ~300m with good cable and kit.

Sorry guys we have slightly side tracked to the future prospect of changing the system to IP.

It seems as though my powers that be have underestimated the infastructure that needed to be installed at this stage should the customer want to change over. Luckily thats not my problem to worry about.

This is on par with our install except for 12volt cameras

The OP was asking about if the site was updated to IP cameras.

Passive baluns could get ~300m with good cable and kit.

Correct.

When you change to ip its going to be a different ball game as networking rules then come into play, i have got away with 120 mtrs and had no probs, but left a loop for net switch if required.

( mine was access control )

Archived