Security Installer Community

Ground Loop Isolators - Cure Or Cover Up?

timmo66

I've got a job on next week, think I'll be running 1cat 5 per cam .

I think ill be suggesting this next time too mate, although i have always done multiple cams down the one cable in the past and never had any problems. All depends on the environment though i guess.

First step is one camera that was "faulty" on a battery on it's own single passive baluns. On it's own in the recorder or better still a battery powered monitor.

Build up from there.

All tested on batteries one at a time, then mains etc..

I have done this but I am starting again on a fresh sheet so to speak on tuesday. Also different (better) baluns at camera end to see if it makes any difference.

I think ill be suggesting this next time too mate, although i have always done multiple cams down the one cable in the past and never had any problems. All depends on the environment though i guess.

Yeah me too, I prefer to run rg59 Aswell but it's up to the powers above what's spec'd.

I am told the reason we are using cat5 in this case is because the client may want to switch to IP when the price drops in the future.

But correct me if i am wrong, with IP dont you need one cable per cam? We are not on the IP wagon yet.

Sureley the ip connection will be at the dvr so that wouldent matter

I dont know mate, like i said i havent explored the ways of IP yet.

How would you normally "upgrade" to IP? I assumed changing all cameras, which i thought would mean one cable per cam?

Sorry misunderstood your q.

I see what you mean now. I would assume that you would need a cable each. But i havent done that either.

Theres some good cctv boys on here tho that probably do this all the time and hopefully they can help with that!

Archived