Security Installer Community

Opinions

Paul. Giles

we did some stuff for secom a couple of years ago.  the hourly rate was **** but there were plenty of them on each job so it was worth it.  sometimes we would turn up and they said they weren't expecting us, sometimes there wouldn't be any kit or the totally wrong kit - it was a total carry on and we walked away.  it works both ways, if we were ever treated like second class engineers then we'd bin them!

We do and tend to treat our subbies as we do our own guys rather than an us and them situation as if the subbies are some form of 2nd class engineer but I believe we are in the minority.

what get rid of them when theres no work on :teehee: ,a subbys work is done on price,if its going slow you need to rush the job or you lose money so the quality suffers,a cards in engineer wont do that,well they might,but the ones i know install as they would regardless,swings and roundabouts, if your not proud to call that job your own you shouldnt be an alarm engineer..

what get rid of them when theres no work on :teehee: ,a subbys work is done on price,if its going slow you need to rush the job or you lose money so the quality suffers,a cards in engineer wont do that,well they might,but the ones i know install as they would regardless,swings and roundabouts, if your not proud to call that job your own you shouldnt be an alarm engineer..

We pay our subbies an hourly rate for that very reason . . .

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

not a fan of subbys,but the question should be why has a subby fitted and signed off a job without anyone going back to check the works he's done,regardless of how good a subby is an employee of the company should be signing the work off.also.is the subbys gear up to the company standards,is his meter calibrated is he wearing the correct ppe,you cant have subbys just sent out like a regular company engineer without checking up on what there doing,imo of course

It's all about procedures. Get them right and it's then just a matter of compliance checking

regardless of the hours or for fixed hours per job.

No fixed hours, it's done when its done. We also put our subbies up in premier inn as we do our guys and cover their breakfast, evening meal and 2 drinks.

If we started doing fixed hours I'd be terrified of the results. Surprisingly only 1 engineer took the **** last year with hours. Changeout of a 9 zone intruder panel, 36 hours. When I saw the photos of the place, my daughter could have done it in less than 20.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

My take, he never completed the works.

You gave a/c numbers and all signals should have been tested ans a RR tested if being used,

I feel the ones who say they won`t trust their engineers to be wrong, why employ them otherwise???

I agree a Q/C check should be  done by another, but as you`re so busy in the office a bit of trust should be used and a quick check on your systems will see the signals tested,.

How often is the "fitter" the "programmer" who does the "handover". ???

With some smaller firms you`re the whole lot and YES everything gets tested, otherwise why sign it off?

I will not sign off anything that is not fully functioning unless there are hold ups and they are also signed for,

I see the usual making out they cannot trust their employees :P

Archived