Security Installer Community

Ideas For Early Warning System To Protect When At Home

swift

If you have an intruder on your property, you want to be alerted as soon as possible, this includes other family members in the house.

I currently have a pir sensor which can turn on a plug and has a chime bell. I have one plug for now, but plan to have several round the house.  All hooked up to monitors and lights, the monitors will be displaying cctv cameras around the outside of the house.

This way when anyone steps foot on the property the monitors turn on (as well as say a lamp and a bell) and family members will be within eye sight of a monitor and can instantly take the appropriate action.  The beauty of this, is that it is quite unobtrusive on family life and is quite useful. You can quickly see who is approaching your property, and gives you more time to take whatever action you need e.g. a quick tidy up  or if its gran and she needs a hand etc.

From the sound of it I'd be looking at DygiZone and integration with CCTV etc...

I think swifts title of 'Ultimate home security' might be leading a lot of the professionals here to rightly point out the issues of correct detection, backup batteries and overall set up.

From what swift has posted I understand his point about the doorbell etc... and happen to agree, but perhaps this thread would have been better titled as 'Ultimate doorbell replacement' - Then we could all chip in without any animosity or arguments =)

Crestron is pretty fantastic as a few here have mentioned but the costs can be demanding.

I have plenty of time for swift in wanting to make a homebrew version of the same but I would urge caution if you are not a qualified electrician or similar when it comes to working with anything other than pre-prepared switches when it comes to the electricity supply in your home.

It is simply not worth the risk.

The general route you are taking will "do the job" to a certain degree, but I would not consider it any form of ultimate security.

Good luck swift - have you looked at ardiuno yet?

Merry (and safe) xmas and a happy new year =)

Thanks Joe, think you've summed it up perfectly.

I didn't want to put this in but I think it may help people understand the context of what I'm trying to achieve.

My family were recently victim to an armed robbery.  Three armed men wearing balaclavas got into the house.  My wife had a gun put to her head and they threatened my 2yr old son.  The only saving grace was no physical harm came to them.  However, more than the loss of family jewellery was the psychological damage this has left on my wife and my 9yr old - he wasn't there at the time, but came home and saw all the police cars and heard what happened and now he's too scared to be in any room alone and struggles to sleep at night.

Police have been useless even though we've heard of other families being hit by the same gang.  They used mobile phones and yet police are saying they don't have authority to trace calls!

I guess what I'm trying to achieve is an early warning system.  As soon as someone steps foot on the property, monitors come on all round the house, so family can quickly identify who is on the property and if necessary get family into a safe room. (I'm going to replace one of the bedroom doors with a steel one.)

trying to find monitors that turn on quickly is tricky, hence, ideally, would be better with ipads/tablets instead which turn on instantly - but haven't come across app that will show a camera on alert -they seem to be email type alerts.  In this scenario, every second counts.

I've recently come across ardiuno - when I was trying to find a product that would transmit IR from a relay/alarm - i.e. use IR to turn on TV from an alarm.  The idea being, if the camera signal output to tvs were modulated, the alarm that triggered, the IR would turn on the tv to that camera.  Also many monitors/tvs when turned on from mains go straight to standby, so need some sort of IR control from a relay or alarm output from dvr.

I do like the 'homebrew' tag - pretty cool!

Don't worry I'm not doing any electrical work and would get in an electrician if one were needed.

It does appear from reading the responses, I've stumbled into a forum of elite security guys or the premier league of security installers and maybe the stuff I'm trying to do is more like 3rd division type stuff.

My family were recently victim to an armed robbery. Three armed men wearing balaclavas got into the house. My wife had a gun put to her head and they threatened my 2yr old son.

Have you got a proper alarm which holds Police URN's ?

I've stumbled into a forum of elite security guys or the premier league of security installers and maybe the stuff I'm trying to do is more like 3rd division type stuff.

Most regular posters are employed in the industry.

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

swift...if someone came into my house and put  a gun to my wifes head,i be on the phone to every installer in town for the best police responce system money could buy,not bodging together some wirefree plug,theres people out there/on here who do what you want,just spend the money to keep your family safe..

I have to agree with the above.

We ARE professionals and if in your area are willing to give a free quotation on what you are trying to achieve.

Using trusted equipment, going to do EXACTLY what you want.

Not using tat, and making bad errors in use of tat.

Why do you have this "risk" and why not gotten the correct protection before?  Sitting there with fingers crossed?

And yes, I have had a gun held to my head, and know how it feels. Teach me to not take advise and walk into the wrong area of a armed area.with 

6ft 6" "soldiers" with orders to shoot are rather threatening!!!

Archived