Security Installer Community

Standards For Dummies

ijoey

thanks again. just downloaded a copy of BS8243.

So after a security system meets all the requirements. what are the advantages of a system receiving an external certification such as SSAIB? and how do those systems differ from standard alarms?

3rd party certification shows as a firm you are inspected and a 3rd party checks you do what you say you do. If your not inspected then you may well do what you claim im sure a lot do, but without that inspection who knows. 3rd party certing costs, ssaib is the cheaper option. We are an NSI gold or as it was nacoss approved firm.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

thanks again. just downloaded a copy of BS8243.

So after a security system meets all the requirements. what are the advantages of a system receiving an external certification such as SSAIB? and how do those systems differ from standard alarms?

NSI and SSAIB are inspectorates they check that the installer has installed to said standards, they cant check every install obviosly they check random systems. Companies associated with the inspectorates are the only companies that can get Police response and insurance approval. 

3rd party certification shows as a firm you are inspected and a 3rd party checks you do what you say you do. If your not inspected then you may well do what you claim im sure a lot do, but without that inspection who knows. 3rd party certing costs, ssaib is the cheaper option. We are an NSI gold or as it was nacoss approved firm.

James, we all know that statement is nothing more than a claim vis a vis the inspected companies.

Almost everyone on here posts up evidence of work from 'badged' companies that frankly, can be embarrassing.

thanks andy. id agree that we have things that have been posted that none of us agree with. i know your anti approval, but im sure its for your own reasons. personally i think 3rd party inspection is better than no inspection.

It can get a URN for a start.

did a quick google search on URN. does that mean you will get much faster police response times?

i'm sure there are positives and negatives to third party cert.

being certified should mean the alarm is up to a certain standard but guessing from Cubit's reply, thats not always the case?

thanks andy. id agree that we have things that have been posted that none of us agree with. i know your anti approval, but im sure its for your own reasons. personally i think 3rd party inspection is better than no inspection.

My point was, and is, 3rd party inspection, based on all the evidence we see, proves nothing with regards to quality of install. This is NOT the same as saying it should show a level of quality.

Remember, NSI will give a badge for the various disciplines even though you may have never done anything. Eg. CCTV. In that respect, the badge scheme could be viewed as a sham.

did a quick google search on URN. does that mean you will get much faster police response times?

It did, there was three levels.

Now it's URN (Level 1) or Withdrawn (Level 3).

You can have two URN's one for PA (Panic) and Intruder (Confirmed).

PA's are designed to go through the systems quicker.

You need a urn to call the police from an alarm system.

Andy. as above i know you have an issue with nsi and ssaib but I do feel inspection is better. Yes there are issues as we have seen but i see much worse from non approved forms than i do approved

Archived