Security Installer Community

Standards For Dummies

ijoey

Hi everyone,

apologies if there is already a thread on this but i tried searching.

i'm a student at university doing a project on home security. i have been a bit stuck on the standards as there is a lot to filter through to get to the vital information and even then, i don't really understand what is necessary.

so far i have gathered that

- intruder alarms have to comply to EN50131 & DD243 - which is a code of practice?

- thief resistant locks have BS3621, BS8621, BS10621. - they are seem the same to me. O_O

can anyone simplify the important requirements of these standards or is it just a matter of reading through the material?

many thanks,

thanks for your prompt replies.

wow. with all these standards, how do designers ensure they meet every requirement? BS50131 in itself has 8 parts with each document at over 30+ pages long. O_O

these limitations can only hinder technological advances surely?

Its not quite as hard as it seems, the panel does a lot of it already, another large lump is common sense, we just need to be sure that we put detectors in the right place. And at the end of it all we audit ourselves to check that we have complied. Compared to flipping burgers at Mc Donalds its a doddle lol

As above for the IAS side.

Lock side deals with more anti pick/bump. Also multipoint and types of key/key key/knob and fire standards (Locks available and able to be secure at the same time as being easy to use for egress.

Lots of reading, and costs. Join BSI and get a reduced rate :D

It shouldnt hinder no. Could say the same about cars, would you want a car that didnt meet a single standard?

true. i imagine most of the standard is about fault prevention and tamper detection as opposed to positioning of the system?

Its not quite as hard as it seems, the panel does a lot of it already, another large lump is common sense, we just need to be sure that we put detectors in the right place. And at the end of it all we audit ourselves to check that we have complied. Compared to flipping burgers at Mc Donalds its a doddle lol

haha! so the panel is where all the electrics are housed? i'm still trying to wise up on the basic circuitry.

another question, can someone tell me the differences between microwave detectors and ultrasonic detectors?

As above for the IAS side.

Lock side deals with more anti pick/bump. Also multipoint and types of key/key key/knob and fire standards (Locks available and able to be secure at the same time as being easy to use for egress.

Lots of reading, and costs. Join BSI and get a reduced rate :)

thanks for the information.

i have actually got access to all the standards online through the university database. but its just filtering out everything and understanding the terms used.

Archived