Security Installer Community

Warranty Is Covered But Should Labour Be Included?

Chargeable, its out of warrenty. You could:

1) not charge for the part and tell them its due to the fact you were not charged to replace it.

2) not go out to the repair in the first place for out of contract repairs.

Agreed, but there is a grey area with EU and 6 years I seem to remember (fit for purpose?)

A fault on a previously working system does not make something not fit for purpose though, IMHO.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

A fault on a previously working system does not make something not fit for purpose though, IMHO.

I agree

Just to clarify JOO, if the part failed in the first 12m then FOC but as I have just re-read it I suspect it failed outside 12m and the warranty is an extended warranty by the manufacturer then imo you do not pass that on to the end user.

Also you will have little recourse from the manufacturer for your time, but it may be worth a try for a gogw

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Thanks everyone for weighing in on this!

The part is definitely under manufacturers warranty (not sure if it is extended or not) so there is no charge/cost to us and therefore there should be no charge for thsi part to the client.

However this part failing, nothing to do with either the way it was installed by us or the way it was used by the Client, has meant we need to send Engineers to identify, diagnose and resolve the fault.

I'm pretty sure manufacturers won't pay for us to attend so it's just going to be us (and possibly the Client) who wears the cost of someone else's failure.

Seems unfair!

ps. I guess we could just ship the Client the part and suggest they either fit it themselves or pay us to fit it for them but that doesn't sit well either.

I wonder what other industries do?

Thanks Norman

With manufacturers warranties extending beyond 2 years (and for some of the systems we install - up to 5 years) I think it would be unrealistic for clients to expect us to swap them out for nothing.

Mind you I think it's fair that if we get charged, then so should the client.

No, the manufacturer won't pay for your time, they're not contracted or obligated to.

Whilst your problem may be genuine, many are caused by the installer, or to be more precise, the tard sent to install it. Hence the T & CD the manufacturers cover themselves by.