Security Installer Community

Warranty Is Covered But Should Labour Be Included?

Hi Everyone,

Would be great to get a cross section of views on this one...

We installed a system for a client over 12 months ago.

In that time they have not chosen to take out a maintenance contract.

One of the parts failed but fortunately they are still covered under warranty and so the manufacturer replaced it.

However by the time the issue was diagnosed and resolved, many hours passed and cost of labour became substantial.

I am positive our client will be happy to pay for our expertise / time.

Having a been a client myself, I was wondering whether or not I would be "happy" to pay, since the problem was down to faulty equipment not necessarily neglect (and even if a maintenance contract were in place, I doubt we would have found this particular problem).

Sure we can deal with this through the T&Cs and "fine print" but we don't like to leave a sour taste in our client's mouth.

Should the manufacturer wear the cost? After all it's their equipment?

In this case we will charge since it is not under maintenance but it would be great to get your views. (If it were maintained then we would possibly provide the labour at cost)

Thanks, Jason

However by the time the issue was diagnosed and resolved, many hours passed and cost of labour became substantial.

Not the end users fault, the repair should be at no cost to the client. If you asked me to stump up I may offend you with my answer.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Agreed, but there is a grey area with EU and 6 years I seem to remember (fit for purpose?)

Ah, not clear cut but here..

http://www.oft.gov.u...e/sogaexplained

Yes there is six years if you discover something that should of been done properly, statutory rights but not really a wtee