Security Installer Community

Advice On Sensor Positions

Hi guys.

I'm looking for the best way to zone up the kitchen door, verander doors and the backroom door facing out to the garden. (all the doors are woodern)

I could put a PIR in the kitchen, but the only place suitable would result in it overlooking the front door and I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do (letters being posted setting alarm off ect if the kitchen door is left open)

The verander is a woodern 'extention' with one of those plastic roofs. I could just put door contacts on all 3 doors but not sure if I should have them all on their own zone or the verander doors on one zone and the kitchen door on another.

Also is it worth having the backroom door protected with a door contact (also woodern but also full of glass). Would any protection for it go on it's own zone or share the zone with the PIR?

Thanks.

5UBXe.jpg

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kitchen: Why can you not put a Pir above the internal door looking to the rear. Right hand front looking to rear.

As a guide, the Back Room shows the Pir left hand front to rear.

Ideally all doors are in own zone.

Are you going to night/part set? I assume stairs come down left side of hall looking from the front. You could put a Pir above(ish) the keypad as an entry route or you/wife/partner/children forget and walk into kitchen.

What panel is it? How many zones have you got to play with.

As a rule avoid looking at or being above radiators with Pir`s. It is good practise, and also looking out of windows into direct sun.

If a normal 2 up 2 down type 5 detection zones plus 2 Panic buttons (HUD`s, for the purists) 7 zones would suffice.

Ask away, we`re here to help.

Each device should always have it's own zone.

Contacts are good if you have pets and/or you would like the alarm to remind you have left the door open.

IMO a contact should be used on any entry doors, other doors on a domestic would depend on the property/customer etc.

Keep in mind from a protection POV contacts will only operate if the door is opened.

You could use a Super Quad PIR (Optex FX50-QZ) or possibly in this situation a DT (if setup correctly) would be better to protect the veranda area.

Is there a reason a kitchen detector cannot go above the hall door facing towards the rear?

The panel I'm looking at is the Accenta G4 (with the metal box, not the plastic) though if there are any other panels then let me know! :)

Kitchen: Why can you not put a Pir above the internal door looking to the rear. Right hand front looking to rear.

There are some pipes in the way, there is also a boiler in the kitchen which gets hot.

I have a PIR for the landing, part set will omit this.

Is there a reason a kitchen detector cannot go above the hall door facing towards the rear?

I though about this, if someone broke a window and then managed to get into the kitchen without opening the door (panel at the bottom could be kicked out) then that would catch them.

Are my PIR's in the wrong position then? They would be DT but they are facing windows.

Not such an issue with a DT or a good quad. DT is better IMHO.

The Pir on landing omited will not start the night set entry timer.

Another above the front door looking rear would do that, just thinking of a blury eyed stuble down the stairs, forgetting the systems set and triggering it.

I wouldn't use a dt unless there is a reason. On domestics we use optex pirs

But I would put them

Back room rear right

Front room front left

pir in the hall and a contact on the external read door as well as front

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

There are some pipes in the way, there is also a boiler in the kitchen which gets hot.

I though about this, if someone broke a window and then managed to get into the kitchen without opening the door (panel at the bottom could be kicked out) then that would catch them.

Confused! We both asked exactly the same question, you quoted us and we got different answers?

The Pir on landing omited will not start the night set entry timer.

Agreed. All ground floor rooms require a sensor IMO.

The "Entry PIR" is important to start the entry timer for part set.

If somebody got into the hall area they could get upstairs without triggering the alarm.

For a domestic house good quality quads are fine in "normal rooms", your better saving the money or put it towards a higher end panel.

Edit:-

Also as james on sensor positions better to have them pointing away from the doors and windows and in a position that a burglar would walk perpendicular to the way the sensor is facing.

Confused! We both asked exactly the same question, you quoted us and we got different answers?

Sorry I though you ment middle of the wall (next to the door) as it can't go in the corner. The other corner is where the cooker is and it might get a bit greasy haha :P

Gen 4 is a fine panel for audible only self install imo.

Yep it would be a bells only, though I am going to make a Raspberry Pi communicator which will email me. :- I'm sure it will be grade 4 compliant :P

I7yrx.jpg

Will defo look into the optex pirs, how is this looking now? Had to put the verenda doors on the same zone (2 door contacts) as I was running out of zones!

I really appreciate the help, really good info!

EDIT: Oh I was planning on using the keypads panic/holdup

Archived